|LOMNICE: Blansko, Moravia|
"...completed in 1997 was the reconstruction of the synagogue in Lomnice (1785), which is used as an exhibition and concert hall." Jewish Community of Brno owns, manages, and renovated the cemetery around 1997. Source [February 2009]
cemetery photos [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000123
Earliest known Jewish community was 1571. 1930 Jewish population was 30. Jewish quarters were planned at the beginning of the 18th century. Self-standing political community was 1869-1919. Jewish resident: E. Donnebaum, opera director, was buried there in 1942. The landmarked (Nr. 0532 S.M.) Jewish cemetery originated in beginning of 18th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1942. A sign or plaque in Czech mentioning the Jewish Community marks the isolated suburban hillside. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall, a continuous fence, and locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.3521 ha.
500-5000 stones, all in original locations, date from 1716-20th century. The marble, granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or obelisks have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the site is a pre-burial house. Brno Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Occasionally, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991. Local non-Jewish residents, regional/national authorities, and Jewish groups within country did restoration in 1984 and 1991. Brno Jewish Congregation pays the regular caretaker. Moderate threat: weather erosion, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, pollution, existing and proposed nearby development.
Engineer arch. Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno; tel. 0 completed survey on February 16.1992. Documentation: Gold, Herman. Other exisiting documentation was not used. No site visits or interviews occurred.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 19 February 2009 20:16|