|LITOMYSL: Svitavy, Pardubice, Bohemia|
town images [February 2009]
"...a town and municipality in the Pardubice Region at 49°52′12″N 16°18′46″E , the eastern Bohemian town of Litomyšl emerged in the 13th century on the site of an older fortified settlement on the Trstenice path - an important trading route linking Bohemia and Moravia.The dominant feature of Litomyšl is the monumental Renaissance castle dating from 1568–1581. The buildings of the castle precincts are not only exceptional for their architectural refinement, but have also inscribed themselves in history as the birthplace of the Czech composer, Bedřich Smetana. On the elongated square, which is one of the largest in the Czech Republic, stands a town hall of Gothic origin and a series of Renaissance and baroque houses, many with arcades and vaulted groundfloor rooms. One of the most important of these is the House At the Knights (U Rytířů) with its remarkable facade. In the past the town was also a significant religious centre; it was in Litomyšl in 1344 that the second bishopric to be established in Bohemia was founded, although it ceased to exist during the Hussite Wars. In the 19th century, the Litomyšl Grammar School was of great importance.The cultural traditions of the town go much beyond regional and national frontiers. The exquisite interiors of the castle, especially the baroque castle theatre, the amphitheatre in the castle park and Smetanas’ house, all offer varied programmes of concerts and theatrical performances and thus enrich the life of the town throughout the year. In 1994 the meeting of the seven Central European presidents took place at the castle. The chateau complex was included on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1999." Wikipedia. [February 2009]
"The almost forgotten Jewish Cemetery dating from 1876, which lies to the north of the centre of the city, is of interest. The Jewish community in Litomysl was liquidated during the Second World War, when the last burial probably took place. (Another Jewish monument - the synagogue dating from 1909-10 - later succumbed to housing on Komenského namesti/Komensky Square). The cemetery is not maintained, and over the past few years most of the tombstones have fallen and are now overgrown." town website [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000356
Engineer Mojmir Maly, Ve Stresovickach 58, 160 00 Praha 6; tel. 02/35-57-69 and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5 tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 22 August 1992. Documentation: 1570, 1848, 1930 censuses. Die Juden in den bohmischen Landern (Munich-Vienna 1983). Zdenek Nejedly: Litomysl..(1954). letter of the chief of local museum (1981). No site visits or interviews occurred.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 19 February 2009 19:51|