You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic LITEN: Beroun, Bohemia
LITEN: Beroun, Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

 

US Commission No. ZCE0000041

Alternate name: Litten in German. Liten is located in Bohemia, Beroun at 49º54 14º09, 9 km SE of Beroun and 28 km SW of Prague. Cemetery: 1 km SSW. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Obecni urad, 267 27 Liten.
  • Regional: Jewish congregation: ZNO Praha (Mrs Jana Wolfov), Maislov 18 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/2318664; AND Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury (Mrs Markova), 266 01 Beroun; AND Pamatkovy urad strednich Cech, Hybernska 18, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/2354940 to 2.
  • Interested: Okresni Muzeum Beroun, Husovo namesti 87, 266 01 Beroun; tel. 0311/3091; AND Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/2310634; AND Engineer Zdenek Zdrubek, 267 27 Liten 79.

Earliest known Jewish community was 1715. 1930 Jewish population was 13. Peak Jewish population was 1793 with 102 people; Jews moved to big towns after 1848. The Jewish cemetery originated in 1680 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial before 1941. Vseradice; Bestin (before 1835); Lochovice, Praskolesy, Horovice (before 1865); Beroun (before 1886) (5 km; 14 km; 13 km, 15 km, 18 km; and 8 km respectively) used cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural) slope has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission (but available across open low wall). A continuous masonry wall and locking gate surround. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.4061 ha.

100-500 stones date from end of 17th-20th century. The cemetery has old and new part. The granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones or multi-stone monuments have inscriptions in Hebrew, German and Czech. Some tombstones have portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the site is a closed pre-burial house. Praha Jewish community owns the site used only for Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural, forested, and unused areas. Occasionally, organized Jewish tours or pilgrimage groups, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred prior to World War II, (by Nazis), during World War II, occasionally 1945-1991. Jewish groups within the country did the restoration in late 1980s-1990s. The Jewish congregation probably pays regular caretaker. Slight threats: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, vegetation and vandalism.
Ladislav Mertl, Mgr. of Geography, Kubanske nam.1322/17, Praha 10-Vrsovice; tel. 02/743213; and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/553340 completed survey on 07-07-92. Documentation: Franisek Nezval: Zide v Horovicich a okoli (manuscript, 1986); Monografie Horovicka a Berounska, III (1929), VI (1931); J.Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia (1980); l letter of Z.Zdrubek (1984): census, 1793,1930,1991. Other documentation was inaccessible. No site visits or interviews occurred.

Last Updated on Thursday, 19 February 2009 18:06
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution