|LIBOCHOVICE: Litomerice, Bohemia|
history in Czech and photos [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000355
Alternate name: Libochowitz in German. Libochovice is located in Bohemia, Litomerice at 50º24 14º02, 18 km ENE of Louny and 28 km S of Usti nad Labem. Cemetery: 800 m WNW of square. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with probably no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was second half of 16th century. 1930 Jewish population was 48. Peak Jewish population in 19th century was 261 people. Starting in 1845, Jews moved to big towns. The Jewish cemetery originated in 1583. Buried in the landmarked cemetery are rabbis with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1943 (legible: 1939). The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.3165 ha.
100-500 stones date 1588-20th century. The cemetery has an old and new part. The granite, limestone, sandstone and iron flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, multi-stone monuments, or obelisks have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Usti nad Labem Jewish community or the municipality own and use site for Jewish cemetery, park, playground, athletic field, and waste dumping. Properties adjacent are recreational and agricultural. Occasionally, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred frequently 1945-1991 (first damage in 1947). Local/municipal authorities probably did work but no maintenance. Serious threat: uncontrolled access, pollution and vegetation. Moderate threat: weather erosion. Slight threat: existing and proposed nearby development.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 12 February 2009 22:13|