You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic KYNSPERK NAD OHRI: Sokolov, Bohemia
KYNSPERK NAD OHRI: Sokolov, Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

Kynšperk nad Ohří (German: Königsberg an der Eger) is a town in Sokolov District, Karlovy Vary Region, Czech Republic. It has a population of 5,111 (2006 est.). It lies on the Ohře River. website in Czech [February 2009]

 

US Commission No. CZCE000352

Alternate German name: Koenigsberg a.d. Eger. It is in Bohemia-Sokolov at 50°7′8″N 12°31′59″E, 12 km NE of Cheb and 26 km SW of Karlovy Vary. Cemetery: 150 meters NW of old square, 300 meters NW of Catholic church. Present population is 5000-25,000 with probably no Jews.

  • Town: Mestsky Urad, 357 51 Kynsperk n. O.; tel. 0168/932-11.
  • Regional: 1. Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, Jednoty 654, 356 01 Sokolov; tel. 0168/225-83 and 223-68; 2. Jewish Congregation: Zidovska Nabozenska Obec, Smetanovy sady 5, 301 37 Plzen; tel. 019/357-49; and 3. Pamatovy ustrav, Dominikanska 4/6, 301 00 Plzen; tel. 019/354-62 or 358-71.
  • Interested: 1. Okresni Muzeum, Zamecka 1, 356 01 Sokolov; tel. 0168/239-30; and 2. Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/2310634.

Earliest known Jewish community was probably in first half of the 14th century. 1930 Jewish population was 27. Peak Jewish population in mid-19th century (162 in 1859). Later, Jews moved to big towns. Synagogue was used until 1930. Native town of the following: painter and graphic artist Fritz Lederer (1978-1949) (buried in this cemetery) and composer and pianist Erich Adler-Orlicky (b. 1911). The Jewish cemetery allegedly originated in mid-14th century but recorded in early 17th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial was in 1949. The landmarked isolated urban hillside has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission via a continuous masonry wall, fence, and a non-locking gate. Size of cemetery before and after WWII: 0.3039 ha.

20-100 gravestones, with 1-20 not in original locations and less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 17th century-20th centuries. Some stones removed from the cemetery were stolen. The cemetery is divided into special section for children. The granite flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, double tombstones, or multi-stone monuments, some with metal fences around graves, have Hebrew and/or Czech inscriptions. No structures. Plzen Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are a recreational park and agricultural garden. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred from prior to World War II onward to 10 years ago. Local non-Jewish residents, individuals or groups of non-Jewish origin, local or municipal authorities, regional or national authorities, and Jewish groups within country cleared vegetation, fixed wall, and new fence by in 1987-88 and 1991-1992. Current care: occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. Security (uncontrolled access), vandalism, and vegetation are moderate threats. Weather erosion and pollution are slight threats. Vegetation overgrowth seasonally prevents access.

Vlastimila Hamackova, Zabelska 37, 312 15 Plzen; tel. office 02/231-06-34 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1915, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 26 August 1992. Documentation: 1. Vinzenz Prokl: Kurzgefasste Geschichte der Stadt Kongisberg(1884); 2. Hugo Gold: Die Juden and Judengemeinden Bohemens (1934); 3. Frantisek Korb: article in Vestnik ZNO, 1983, No. 3; 4. Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia (1980); 5. Documentation of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha; and Cadastres [a public record, survey or map of the value, extent and ownership of land as a basis of taxation] of 1841 and 1859. Kamackova visited site in 1991. No interviews.

Last Updated on Thursday, 19 February 2009 04:29
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution