|KUNDRATICE: Klatovy, Bohemia|
US Commission No. CZCE000117
Alternate German name: Kundratitz. It is in Bohemia-Klatovy at 49º10 13º28, 9 km SW of Susice and 62 km S of Plzen. Cemetery: 1 km NE of town. Present population is under 1000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 1794. 1930 Jewish population was 3 in Kundratice and 21 in Hartmanice. Jews moved to big towns in the second half of 19th century. The Jewish cemetery originated in 1870 with last known Jewish burial before 1939. There is a mass grave from 1945 (see below). Hartmanice, 1.5 km away, also used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated rural wooded hillside has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via no wall, fence, or gate. Size of cemetery before and after WWII: 0.0625 or 0.05176 ha.
1-20 gravestones, with none in original locations with more than 75% toppled or broken, date from probably 19th-20th century. The sandstone flat shaped stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no confirmed mass graves except twelve Jewish women buried on 29 April 1945. There are no structures within the cemetery, now a forest. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred prior to World War II and during World War II by the Nazis. Security (uncontrolled access), weather erosion, vegetation, and incompatible nearby development (existing) are moderate threats. Lumberjacking is a very serious threat. Pollution is a slight threat.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 19 February 2009 03:59|