|KRINEC: Nymburk, Moravia|
US Commission No. CZCE000113
[Also used cemetery at Kovanice before 1884 and probably used the cemetery at Domousnice before 1885] Alternate German names: Krinetz and Kschinetz. Křinec. It is in Morava-Nymburk, at 50°15′38″N 15°8′6″E , 10 km NE of Nymburk and 22 km SE of Mlada Boleslav. Cemetery: 1200 meters W, near the road to Mecir. Present population is 1000-5000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 1850. 1930 Jewish population was 8. Jews moved to big towns in second half of 19th century. The Jewish cemetery originated in 1884 with last known Conservative or Reform/Progressive Jewish burial probably before 1943. Rozdalovice, 5 km away also used this unlandmarked cemetery. Between fields and woods on an isolated hillside with no sign, Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. Size of cemetery before and after WWII: 0.2426 ha.
Around 40 [?] gravestones, with 1-20 not in original locations and more than 75% toppled or broken, date from late 19th century-20th century. The marble, granite, limestone, and sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German, and/or Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the cemetery are a pre-burial house, a well, and one big tomb. Praha Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and waste dumping. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred between 1945 and currently. No maintenance or care. Security (uncontrolled access to the secluded spot), pollution, vandalism and vegetation are serious threats. Vegetation overgrowth constantly disturbs stones.
Martina Chmelikova, Nad Ondrejovam 16, 140 00 Praha 4; tel. 02/69-20-350 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 26 May 1992. Documentation: 1. Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia (1980); 2. Notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha (1965); 3. Lobumir Rostejnsky: Zide v Krinci (1968); 4. Podebradsko, I (1906); and 5. 1985 letter of local historian. Chelikova visited to site in May 1992. No interviews.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 19 February 2009 03:12|