KOREN: Tachov, Bohemia Print

partial burial list [February 2009]

 

US Commission No. CZCE000014

Alternate names (German): Kurschin. . Town is at 49º50 12º52, 15 km ENE of Tachov and 40 km WNW of Plzen in Bohemia-Tachov. Cemetery is 300 meters E of town. Present population is under 1000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Obecni urad, 349 54 Lestkov. Regional: Okresni urad, odbor kultury, 347 01 Tachov.
  • Interested: Okresni Muzeum, trida Miru Street 447, 347 01 Tachov.

Earliest known Jewish community was 1830s. 1930 Jewish population was 4 persons. Jews moved to big towns in second half of 19th century. The unlandmarked cemetery was probably established at the end of 18th century or beginning of 19th century with last known Jewish burial probably first third of 20th century. Lestkov (Ger: Leskau), 4 km away, used this cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no sign. Reached by crossing private pasture, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and a continuous fence and no gate. Size of cemetery before and after WWII: 522 sq. m.

1-20 gravestones, not all in original locations with over 75% toppled or broken, date from probably first half of 19th-20th century. The marble, granite, and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and German inscriptions. With no structures, Plzen Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are pasture. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred probably prior to World War II by the Nazis and between 1945 and ten years ago. Regional or national and Jewish groups within country erected a fence after 1984. No current care. Security (uncontrolled access) is a slight threat. Vandalism is a moderate threat.
Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 25 December 1991. Documentation: land register of 1839-79. Fiedler visited site in 1990. The District Preserver of Monuments (deceased) was interviewed in 1986.

Last Updated on Friday, 27 February 2009 16:55