|KOLODEJE NAD LUZNICI: Ceske Budejovice, Bohemia|
KehlaLink [Oct 2013]
cemetery photos [February 2009]
Austria-Czech SIG: "Earliest known Jewish community was 1681-1684. The Jewish community moved here after expulsion from nearby town of Tyn nad Vltavou (German: Moldautein). The Jewish population in the first half of 19th century was 94 families that later moved to Tyn nad Vltavou and other towns (153 in Kolodeje nad, 60 in Tyn n. V. in 1886). In 1857 over half the town's population were Jews (679 of 1327 total). The Jewish population in 1930 was 9 in Kolodeje and 23 in Tyn nad Vltavou. Nazis disbanded the congregation. See "The History of Judaism in Kalady" in "How the castle and the parish of Kolodeje arose" translated by Rainer Radok, Source. " [February 2009]
Family name index of Familianten books. Birth, Death and Marriage record books for Breclav dating from 1784 may be located at the Czech State Archives in Prague, Statni istredni archiv, tr. Milady Horokove 133, CZ-166 21 Praha 6, Czech Republic, tel/fax: +42 (2) 333-20274, see http://www.jewishgen.org/austriaczech/towns/gund1.htm. Search JewishGen/Internet resources for Kolodeje." [February 2009]
Photos and maps: "Only a ferry across the Vltava river is mentioned in this place in the 16th century. The courtyard was founded later and then the Renaissance fortress was built here too. The fortress was rebuilt into a Baroque chateau in about 1740 and the St. Anne's Chapel was added one year later. The Jewish cemetery can be found behind the village near the road in the direction of the small town Bernartice. The oldest tombstones originate from the first half of the 18th century. The finding places of graphite, which were found in the surroundings of the village, are counted among the richest in Europe." [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000039
Alternate names: Koloděje nad Lužnicí [Cz], Kaladei and Kalladay [Ger], Kalady, Kaladey, Kaladi, Kalladye, Kalladieg. In Bohemia-Ceske Budejovice at 49°15' N, 14°25' E , 3km N of Tyn nad Vltavou; 6 km SW of Bechyne; 16 miles SW of Tábor, and 19 miles N of České Budějovice at the confluence of the Luznici and Moldau (Vltava) rivers. Cemetery: 350 meters N of the chateau. Present population is under 1000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 1681-1684. Jewish popuation was 659 in 1857. 1930 Jewish population was 9 in Kolodeje and 23 in Tyn nad Vltavou. Jewish community moved here after expulsion from nearby town of Tyn nad Vltavou (Ger: Moldautein). The Jewish population in first half of 19th century was 94 families that later moved to Tyn n. V. and other towns (153 in Kolodeje nad, 60 in Tyn n. V. in 1886). Nazis disbanded congregation. Birthplace of Radok brothers: Alfred (1914-1976), theatrical producer and film director, and Emil (b. 1918), author of famous Laterna Magika stage in Prague. The Conservative and probably landmarked cemetery originated in the late 17th or early 18th century with last known Jewish burial probably 1969. Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside has no sign, but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission via a continuous masonry wall and locking gate. Size of cemetery before and after WWII: 0,2772 ha.
100-500 gravestones, all in original position with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1734 or from before 1500 through 20th century. The marble, granite, limestone, sandstone, and iron (one) flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones, or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German, and/or Czech inscriptions. Praha Jewish community owns the cemetery with no structures. Adjacent properties are agricultural and forest. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally in the last ten years. Regional or national authorities and Jewish groups within country re-erected stones, patched broken stones, cleared vegetation, and fixed wall and gate in 1991. No current care. Security (uncontrolled access) and vandalism are moderate threats. Weather erosion, pollution, and vegetation are slight threats. Vegetation overgrowth seasonally prevents access.
Martina Chmelikova, Nad Ondrejovem 16, 140 00 Praha 4; tel. 02/69-20-350 and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 16 August 1992. Documentation: 1. Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia (1980); 2. J. Sakar: Dejiny mesta Tyna nad Vltavou a okoli (1935-36); 3. Notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha; and 4. Hugo Gold: Die Juden and Judengemeinden Bohemens (1934). Other documentation exists but was inaccessible: Nos. 14, 22, 26, 59, 63 in archives of the Jewish Congregation in Praha. Chelikova visited site in June 1992. Mrs. and Ms. Sedlak, Kolodeje n. L., in 1992 and Ivan Bartos [see above] in Ceske Budejovice in 1992 were interviewed.
|Last Updated on Friday, 11 October 2013 02:08|