KOLINEC: Klatovy, Bohemia Print

 

map and photos: "Originally the property of Czech kings and later, (beginning of the 15th century to the...mid-16th century), it belonged to the Velhartice castle. ...The most valuable building in Kolinec is the Early-Gothic Church of St. James the Greate...built at the end of the 13th century in place of the original small Romanesque church from the turn of the 13th century. Another site is the small Baroque stone bridge over the Kalný Potok (Cloudy Stream)... from the 18th century and [landmarked]. The Jewish cemetery from the 17th century can be found on the eastern outskirts of Kolinec ....remains of medieval gold mining can be seen in the surroundings of the village." [February 2009]

 

US Commission No. CZCE000108

Alternate names (German): Kollinetz. Town is in Bohemia-Klatovy at 49º18 13º26, 15 km, SE of Klatovy and 47 km S of Plzen. Cemetery is 300 meters SE of town. Present population is 1000-5000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Mestsky Urad, 341 42 Kolinec.
  • Regional: 1. Okresni Urad-Referat Kultury, 339 01 Klatovy; 2. Zidovska Nabozenska Obec, Smetanovy sady 5, 301 37 Plzen.
  • Interested: 1. Dr. Lubos Smolik, Director of Okresni Muzeum, Hostasova 1/IV, 339 01 Klatovy; tel. 0186/2309; and 2. Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1.
  • Caretaker: Jirina Posserova, 341 42 Kolinec cp. 56.

Earliest known Jewish community was recorded in the first half of 19th century with congregation probably from 18th or 17th century. 1930 Jewish population was 4. The Jewish cemetery originated before 1724, but allegedly 1339 with last known Conservative burial was 1940. Landmarked: 434/3068/, category II. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. The size of the cemetery before and after WWII was 0.1043 ha.

100-500 gravestones, 1-20 not in original locations and more than 75% toppled or broken, date from 1727-20th century. The marble, granite, limestone, and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones, or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German, and/or Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the cemetery are a pre-burial house and the ruin of mortuary. Plzen Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural, residential, and forest. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Local non-Jewish residents cleared vegetation in 1990. Current care is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. Security (uncontrolled access) and vandalism are moderate threats. Weather erosion, pollution, and vegetation are slight threats. Vegetation overgrowth seasonally prevents access.

Marketa Cibulkova, Serikova 20, 317 05 Plzen; tel. 019/416-87; 2. Peter Braun, Komenskeho 43, 323 13 Plzen; tel. 019/52-15-58; 3. Rudolf Loewy, Jesenicka 33, 323 23 Plzen; tel. 019/52-06-84; and 4. Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 22 May 1992. Documentation: 1. Hugo Gold: Die Juden and Judengemeinden Bohemens (1934); 2. Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia (1980); 3. Notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum; notes of local historian F. Mara; and census of 1654, 1724, and 1930. Cibulkova, Braun, and Lowy visited site on March 1992. L. Smolik, 340 37 Mecin cp. 56 in 1992; Vit Korec, native of Kolinec in Prague (1982-1988); and Frantisek Mara, historian of Vdinec, 348 11 Chodsky Ujezd cp. 110 in 1985, were interviewed.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 17 February 2009 20:48