You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic KLIMKOVICE: Novy Jicin, Silesia, Moravia
KLIMKOVICE: Novy Jicin, Silesia, Moravia PDF Print E-mail

Klimkovice spa extends across forested countryside in the foothills of the Nízký Jeseník mountains surrounded by beautiful nature with a unique view of the Beskydy mountain panorama. This town in Ostrava-City District, Moravian-Silesian Region has a population of 3,870 (2005 est.).According to the Austrian census of 1910 the town had 2,696 inhabitants, 2,677 of whom had permanent residence . Census asked people for their native language, 2,442 (91.2%) were Czech-speaking and 227 (8.5%) were German-speaking. Most populous religious group were Roman Catholics with 2,653 (98.4%) [February 2009]

 

US Commission No. CZCE0000105

Alternate names (German): Koenigsberg. Town is in Slezsko [Silesia]-Novy Jicin at 49º48 18º08, 10 km SW of Ostrava. Cemetery: 1.5 km NE of town. Present population is 1000-5000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Mayor Engineer Lumir Bilik, Mestsky Urad, 742 83 Klimkovice; tel. 0655/6290.
  • Regional: Engineer Lubomir Manula, Okrasni Urad-Referat Kultury, 741 00 Novy Jicin; tel. 0656/22431.
  • Interested: Okresni Vlastivedne Muzeum, Director Augustin Danek, zamek, 74100 Novy Jicin; tel. 065620708.
  • Caretaker with key: Mr. Svoboda, cp. 261, 742 83 Klimkovice; tel. 0.

Earliest known Jewish community was after 1860. 1930 Jewish population was 26. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in the second half of the 19th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1930. The flat suburban wooded site, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall and locking gate. Size of cemetery before and after WWII: about 30 sq. m.

1-20 gravestones, all in original location with 50%-75% toppled or broken, date from second half of the 19th-20th century. The marble and granite flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, or obelisks, some with metal fences around graves have Hebrew, German, and/or Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims, but no known mass graves. Within the limits of the cemetery is a custodian's house. Ostrava Jewish community owns and uses the site only as a Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred between 1945 and ten years ago. Local non-Jewish residents and Jewish groups within country cleared vegetation in 1970's and 1980's. Current care: occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals and unpaid caretaker. Security (uncontrolled access), incompatible nearby development, and vegetation are slight threats. Vegetation overgrowth seasonally prevents access. Pollution and vandalism are moderate threats.
Engineer arch. Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno; tel. 0 visited site on on 1 March 1992. Documentation: Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia (1980. Other documentation exists was too old. Klenovsky visited site in 1988 and 1991. No interviews.

Last Updated on Thursday, 19 February 2009 02:04
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution