|JESENIK: Sumperk, Silesia|
US Commission No. CZCE000097
Alternate names: (German) Freiwaldau and [other] Fryvaldov. Town is in Slezsko (Silesia)-Sumperk at 50º14 17º12, 75 km N of Olomouc. Cemetery: 1 km N on Husova Str. Present population is 5000-25,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community dates from end of 19th century. 1930 Jewish population was 96. The unlandmarked cemetery originated around 1900 with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1922. The suburban hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is entirely closed with no wall, fence or gate. Size of cemetery before WWII: 0.2045 ha.
No stones are visible. Some stones removed from the cemetery are in a museum of conservation. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. A private individual owns the property now used a residence. Adjacent properties are residential. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II and between 1945 and ten years ago. No care or maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Weather erosion, pollution, planned development, and vegetation are minor threats. Vegetation overgrowth seasonally prevents access.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 14 February 2009 00:45|