Alternate names: Jabłonków, Jablunkau, Jablunkov. 49°34' N 18°46' E, 194.8 miles E of Praha.
website in Czech with photo: not landmarked "Jewish settlement with a prayer house from the mid-19th century. The cemetery is located on Polní ulici, 200 m S of the town square in cemetery area. Burials date 1903-37 in the 909 m2 area with 35 modern tombstones. Brick mortuary adapted in 1997 for business purposes. Cleaned 2005-7. " [Sep 2011]
cemetery photo [February 2009]
US Commission No CZCE000093:
Alternate names: (German) Jablonkau, Jablunkau. Town is in Slezsko (Silesia) Frydek-Mistek at 49º35 18º47, 45 km SE of Ostrava. Cemetery: 0.2 km S of Jablunkov. Present population is 5000-25,000 with no Jews.
- Town: Mayor Engineer Antonin Tichon, Mestsky Urad, Dukelska 144, 739 91 Jablunkov; tel. 0659/932421-3.
- Local: Jarmila Sikorova, Mestsky Urad-Referat Kultury, (same address as Mestsky Urad above) 3.
- Regional: Dr. Zuzana Brizova, Okresni urad-Referat Kultury, Palackeho 115, 738 01 Frydek-Mistek; tel. 0658/20741.
- Interested: Okresni Vlastivedne Muzeum, dir. Engineer Kavalek, Namesti cp. 1264, 738 01 Frydek-Mistek; tel. 0658/22750.
- Earliest known Jewish community dates from second half of 19th century. There was a Jewish community from about 1900. [contradiction?]. 1930 Jewish population was 61. Painter Otto Schneid lived here. Jewish cemetery, unlandmarked, originated in second half of the 19th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1942. The flat suburban land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign, but has Jewish symbols on gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall and a continuous fence with a locking gate. Size of cemetery before and after WWII: about 15x50 meters. 20-100 gravestones, with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from second half of the 19th century-20th century. The marble and granite flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and/or Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. Some stones removed from the cemetery are in a museum of conservation. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Ostrava Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are other cemeteries. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Site was vandalized between 1945 and ten years ago and occasionally in the last ten years. Jewish groups within country cleared vegetation and fixed wall in the 1970s. Current care: occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. Within the limits of the cemetery is a pre-burial house. Security (uncontrolled access), weather erosion, pollution, vandalism, and incompatible nearby development (existing, planned or proposed) are slight threats. Vegetation overgrowth constantly disturbs graves.
- Engineer Arch, Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno; tel. 0 completed survey on 1 March 1992. Documentation: Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia (1980). Other documentation exists but was too old. Klenovsky conducted no interviews but visited site in 1987 and 1991.