You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic IVANOVICE: Vyskov, Moravia
IVANOVICE: Vyskov, Moravia PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Ivanovice na Hané and Eiwanowitz in der Hanna, 49°18' N 17°06' E, 129.0 miles ESE of Praha.

website in Czech with photo: landmarked "Jewish settlement from the 16th century, the birthplace of a literary historian Gustav Karpeles (1848-1909 Nauheim, FRG). Jewish Quarter in the SW part of the core, ulice Stará čtvrť and Havlíčkova, The temple and the original 63 houses preserved on ul Havlíčkova. Empire-style synagogue in the Old Quarter built early 19th century and in 1951-2 adapted to Hussite Church. Cemetery in Tyršova street, 700 meters N of the square along the road to a petrol station Kromeriz, was founded in the 17th century at the latest, heavily damaged by the Nazis. ​​3766 m2 wiwth about 200 tombstones, the oldest from 1715. Cemetery has wire mesh fence . Partial repairs in 2010-11." [Sep 2011]

Cemetery with photos. Easily missed behind the petrol station in a field, hardly any tombstones are upright.In a very poor state, i urgently needs restoration. The terrain is a bit undulating and boggy. The Vyskov community first administered by the community at Ivanovice/ Eiwanowitz after 1891 became automonous. Source: J Fiedler "Jewish Sights of Bohemia and Moravia" [February 2009]

US Commission No. CZCE000092"

Alternate names: (German) Eiwanowitz. Town is in Morava-Vyskov at 49º19 17º06, 40 km NE of Brno. Cemetery: Ivanovice na Hane, 1 km E. Present population is 1000-5000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Mayor Slavoj Zvolsky, Mestsky Urad, 683 23 Ivanovice n. H.; tel. 0507/93251.
  • Regional: Dr. Ivo Klenk, Okresni Urad-Referat Kultury, 682 01 Vyskov; tel. 0507/411.
  • Interested: Muzeum Vyskovska, Director Dr. Frantisek Jordan, zamek, 682 01 Vyskov; tel. 0507/21147. Emil Palasek, Rostislavova 344, 683 23 Ivanovice n. H.; tel. 0507/9330.

Earliest known Jewish community was 1576. 1921 Jewish population was 78. A big fire occurred in 1799. Rabbi Elias Karpeles and historian Gustav Karpeles, 1848-1909, lived here. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in the 16th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1942. The flat isolated suburban agricultural site, by water, has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and no gate. Size of cemetery before and after WWII: 0.3766 ha. 20-100 gravestones,

1-20 not in original locations and 75% toppled or broken, date from 1805-20th century. The marble, granite, and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, or flat stones with carved relief decoration, have Hebrew or German inscriptions. Some have fences around graves. Some stones removed from the cemetery are in a museum of conservation. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Brno Jewish community owns the site used for Jewish cemetery and waste dumping. Properties adjacent are commercial or industrial and agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II, between 1945 and ten years ago, and occasionally in the last ten years. No maintenance, no care. Within the limits of the cemetery is a pre-burial house ruin (destroyed.) Security (uncontrolled access) and vandalism are serious threats. The vegetation vegetation overgrowth constantly disturbs stones. Water drainage is a seasonal problem. Pollution is a very serious problem. Weather erosion, incompatible nearby development (existing, planned, or proposed) are moderate threats.

Engineer arch. Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno; tel. 0 completed survey on 1 March 1992. Documentation: J. Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia (1980). Other documentation exists but was too old. Klenovsky conducted no interviews and visited site in January 1992.

Last Updated on Friday, 07 October 2011 10:10
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution