|HUSTOPECE: Breclav, Moravia|
US Commission No. CZCE000090
Alternate/Former name: (German) Auspitz. Town is in Morava-Breclav at 48°56' N, 16°44' E , 19 miles SSE of Brno, 13 miles NNW of Břeclav. Cemetery: l km SW, Sv. Cecha-Street. Present town population is 5000-25,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 15th century. 1900 Jewish population was 260. 1930 Jewish population was 103. Banishing of Jews in 1651, grant of residence in 1848, and establishing of Jewish community about 1860 were important events. Rudolf Honigsfeld, 1902-1977, architect, lived here. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 1886 with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1942. The isolated suburban hillside has a Czech sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via no wall, fence, or gate. Size of cemetery before WWII: 0.1298 ha and now is 0.939 ha.
No tombstones are visible. The municipality owns the property used for recreation (park, playground, and athletic field). Properties adjacent are agricultural, residential, and garages. Compared to 1939, cemetery boundaries are smaller due to garages. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II and continued until ten years ago. No maintenance but care is occasional clearing or cleaning by authorities. Security, weather erosion, and vegetation are moderate threats. Vegetation overgrowth seasonally prevents access. Vandalism and incompatible nearby development are slight threats.
Engineer arch. Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno; tel. 0 completed survey on 1 March 1992. Documentation: Herman. Other documentation exists but was too old. Klenovsky, who conducted no interviews, visited site in February 1992.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 15 February 2009 20:45|