HRIVCICE: Louny, Bohemia Print

cemetery photos of cemetery located at Vrbno nad Lesy and more cemetery photos [February 2009]

 

US Commission No. CZCE000235

Alternate names: (German) Pflanzendorf, Riwtschitz. Town is in Bohemia, Louny at 50º20 13º55, 9 km ESE of Loungy and 64 km SW of Prague. Cemetery: 0.5 km S of town. Present population is under 1000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Obecni Urad Hrivcice, 439 06 Vrbno nad Lesy.
  • Regional: 1. Jewish Congregation: ZNO, Moskevska 26, 400 01 Usti nad Labem; tel. 047/22710; and 2. Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, 440 01 Louny.
  • Interested: 1. Okresni Muzeum Louny, Pivovarska 28, 440 01 Louny; tel. 0395/2456; and 2. Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha; tel. 02/2310634.

The Jewish community in Hrivice had a maximum of two families in 18th century. In the first half of the 18th century, site probably belonged to Panensky Tynec (Ger: Jungferteinitz), 4 km away. Since the second half of the 18th century, the cemetery belonged to the community in Hriskov (Ger: Rischkau), 6 km away. 1930 Jewish population (census) was 0 in Hrivcice, 16 in Hriskov, 3 in Panensky Tynec, 19 in Rocov, and 8 in Domousice. Jewish cemetery originated before 1760. Rabbis of Hriskov were buried here with last known Conservative Jewish burial first third of 20th century. Rocov (Ger: Ober-Rotschau), 14 km away; and Domousice (Ger: Domauschihtz), 18 km away, also used the cemetery. The cemetery is probably landmarked but no number was given. The isolated rural hillside has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open via a broken masonry wall and a ruined non-locking gate. Size of cemetery before and after WWII is 0.3163 ha.

100-500 gravestones, some not in original location and more than 75% toppled or broken, fsyr from 1759-20th century. The cemetery is divided clearly into old and new parts. The granite, limestone, and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German, and Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the cemetery is a pre-burial house ruin. Usti nad Labem Jewish community owns Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II and continuously since but no maintenance or care is done. Security (uncontrolled access), weather erosion, and vandalism are moderate threats. The completely uncontrolled vegetation is a very serious threat; vegetation overgrowth constantly disturbs stones.
Ladislav Mertl, Mgr. of Geography, Kubanske namesti 1322/17, 100 00 Praha 10-tel. 02/743213 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/553340 completed survey on 6 May 1992. Documentation: 1. J. Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia (Prague-1980); 2. Jahrbuch fur die israelische Cultusgemeinden Bohemens (1893-1894); 3. Hugo Gold. Die Juden and Judengemeinden Bohemens (1934; 4. Letters of local historian of Rocov (1983-87); 5. Notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum I Prague; and 6. 1724, 1849, 1930, and 1991 Censuses. Ladislva Mertl visited site on 17 May 1992. No interviews.

Last Updated on Thursday, 12 February 2009 19:57