|HRESIHLAVY: Rokycany, Bohemia|
website in Czech with photo: not landmarked and freely accessible. "Jewish settlement here since the mid-17th century. In the first half of the 19th century over 30 families lived here. In 1920, around 10-15 of the Jewish people lived here. Židovská ulice [Jewish street] leading from the square E of the cemetery had 24 houses before the mid-19th century. Most of them, including school reconstruction remain. The synagogue built in the 19th century in the eastern part of the street was demolished before 1938. The cemetery is located approximately 500 meters E of the village on a slope at the edge of the forest on the road to Leskove Mill. Founded in the early 19th century (probably in 1821) on 680 m2 are 55 visible tombstones from 1826 and 1911. Only the outer wall remains of the mortuary. The quarry stone wall is ruined in some places." [Sep 2011]
Cemetery photo [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000276:
Alternate names: Rescholau; Pzecholau; Reschihlau (German) and Resohlavy (Czech). Town is in Bohemia, Rokycany at 49º56 13º37, 27 km NE of Plzen and 21 km SSW of Rakovnik. Cemetery: 1 km E of chateau, near the road leading to the river. Present town population is under 1000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 1680 (prayer-room recorded.) As of 1930, no Jews remained. Peak Jewish population was first half of 19th century with 262 people or 51% of the total population in 1840. Second half of 19th century saw movement to big towns. Congregation disbanded and synagogue closed in late 19th century. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 1821 with last known Conservative Jewish burial in the 1930s. The isolated rural wooded hillside has no sign. Reached by crossing public forest, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. Size of cemetery before and after WWII: about 0.199 ha.
20-100 gravestones, 1-20 not in original locations and 50%-75% toppled or broken, date from 1826-20th century. The marble and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German, and Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the cemetery is a pre-burial house ruin. Plzen Jewish community owns Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are forest. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II, between 1945 and ten years ago, and occasionally in the last ten years. No maintenance or care. Security (uncontrolled access) is a serious threat. Vegetation overgrowth constantly disturbs graves. Vandalism is a moderate threat. Weather erosion is a slight threat.
Dr. Peter Braun, Komenskeho 43, 323 13 Plzen; tel. 019/52-15-58 and Rudolf Lowy, Jesenicka 33, 323 23 Plzen; tel. 52-06-85; and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 3 November 1992. Documentation: 1. Cadastre of 1939 and 1858; 2. Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohems (1934); 3. Letters of Ms. V. Vernerova with local records(1986); and 4. Notes of research of Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Praha. Other documentation exists but was too old to use. Braun and Lowy visited site in February 1992 and interviewed V. Vernerova in Hresihlavy.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 20 September 2011 15:06|