Arnau, Hostinné. 50°32' N 15°44' E, 64.0 miles ENE of Praha.
website in Czech with photo: not landmarked. "The cemetery is located on the blue marked tourist trail to Čermná on top called the Svatý Antoníček, 350 meters NE of the city. Founded in 1884, in 1938 local Nazis damaged it and in the 1950s and 60s it was completely destroyed, including walls and ceremonial hall. Today, the preserved area of around 600 m2, has 11 visible bases, curbs and Henriette Müller's tombstone from 1902. Current maintenace includes plans to clean up self-seeded vegetation and ongoing maintenance of the cemetery area." [September 2011]
US Commission No. CZCE000341:
Alternate German name: Arnau. Hostinne is in Trutnov, Bohemia at 50º33 15º44, 13 km ENE of Trutnov and 28 km NE of Jicin. Cemetery: 700 meters E of square. Present population is 1000-5000 or 5000-25,000 with no Jews.
- Town: Mestsky Urad (Mayor), 543 71 Hostinne; tel. 0438/942-101; tel. 0439/94-21-02.
- Regional: 1. Okresni urad, Horska ulice, 41 00 Trutnov; tel. 0439/3251 and 2. Zidovska Nabozenska Obec v Praze, Maislova 18, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-69-25.
- Earliest known Jewish community was presumably second half of 19th century. 1930 Jewish population was 57. A religious society existed in late 19th and early 20th centuries (112 people in 1910) but later moved to big towns. The unlandmarked cemetery originated in 1884 with last known Conservative or Reform/Progressive burial in 1945. The isolated suburban hillside has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open via no caretaker, wall, fence, or gate. Size of cemetery before and after WWII: 0.07 ha. Three gravestones, two in original location with 50%-75% toppled or broken, date from late 19th century and 20th centuries. Stones removed from the cemetery were sold or stolen after WWII. The marble and limestone finely smoothed and inscribed stones, multi-stone monuments, or horizontally set stones have German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. The municipality owns the property used for lawn. Adjacent properties are recreational and small allotment gardens. Frequently, local gardeners use site. Vandalism occurred prior to and during World War II (1938 by Nazis) and between 1945 and ten years ago, when tombstones were removed. No maintenance or care. Security (uncontrolled access) and vandalism are a serious threat. Weather erosion and pollution are slight threats. The vegetation overgrowth seasonally prevents access.
- Martina Chmelikova, Nad Ondrejovem 16, 140 00 Praha 4; tel. 02/69-20-350 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 27 August 1992. Documentation: 1. Censuses of 1910 and 1930; 2. Umelecke pamatky Cech (1957); 3. Archives of Praha Jewish Congregation; and 4. Remembrance of Kurt Almus, the last Jewish Man from Hostinne (1982). M. Chmelikova interviewed Vit Korec, deceased head of the Jewish community in Trutnov, in consultations in 1981-1987. Mr. Z. Pilous of Hostinne visited site in 1992.