|HOSTICE: Hoštice u Volyně, Strakonice, Bohemia|
website in Czech with photo: landmarked and freely accessible "The cemetery is located 1 km NW of the village on a hillside on the edge of the forest. Founded later than the second quarter of the 18th century, burials continued to the 19th century. 543 m2. 50 visible tombstones dating 1735 to the 19th century. Until the end of 1990s, maintenance had no financial resources. In 2000 reconstruction of the cemetery started indluding removing dense foliage and start to repair quarry stone wall. At present, ongoing maintenance is needed to complete repairs and the wall and righting of a few fallen tombstones." [Sept 2011]
Herman, John. Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia. 1st New York: Council of Jewish Communities in Czechoslovakia. Year not specified. 104 p.
(Also used the cemetery at Volyne)
map and photos: "The small village Hoštice lies about 3 km north of the town of Volyně and about 7 km south of the town Strakonice.The village was under the ownership of the Lords of Hoštice in the 13th century. Hoštice became popular in the last quarter of the 20th century due to the series of films "Slunce, seno, ..." ("Sun, hay, ...") taking place in the village and its surroundings.The ... sights in the village are the Church of the Nativity of Virgin Mary from the 16th century with a cemetery and the Baroque chateau from the 18th century. Several houses with Baroque gables have been preserved ... Jewish cemetery from the 18th century can be found on the slopes of the Kalný hill (634 m) about 2 km NW of the village. [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000273:
Alternate name: Hungarian-Histitz. Town is located in Strakonice, Bohemia at 49º12 13º54, 7 km S of Strakonice. Location of cemetery: 750 meters NW of Catholic Church. Present population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 1724, a recorded prayer house. 1930 Jewish population was 0. 11-13 families were permitted in first half of 19th century (91 people, 30% of total population in 1828). They moved to big towns in second half of 19th century. The synagogue closed and congregation disbanded at the end of the 19th century. Last Jews left Hostice in 1902. The unlandmarked cemetery originated 1725 and 1735 with last known Jewish burial probably late 19th century. The Jewish community was Conservative. Between fields and woods, the flat and isolated site has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission with a broken masonry wall, last repaired in 1934-35. The cemetery has no gate now but a nice iron gate existed in 1981. Size of cemetery before and after WWII: 0.0543 ha.
50 gravestones, 1-20 not in original location and 50%-75% toppled or broken. The oldest known legible gravestone is 1735. The 18th and 19th centery marble, granite, and sandstone flat shaped stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Prague Jewish community owns Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and woods. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Local non-Jewish residents cleared vegetation about 1987 but no care or maintenance now. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Security (uncontrolled access to secluded spot) is a serious threat. Vandalism and vegetation are moderate threats. Weather erosion and pollution are slight threats.
Martina Chmelikova, Nad Ondrejovem 16, 140 00 Praha 4; tel. 02/69-20-350 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 8 November 1992. Documentation: 1. Censuses of 1724, 1828, and 1930. 2. Notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha-1960s. 3. J. Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia (1980). 4. Die Juden and Judengemeinden Bohemens (1934). 5. Letter of V. Braun (1981) and letter of historian J. Christ (1983). Other documentation exists but was inaccessible: No. 26 in archives of Praha Jewish Congregation. M. Chmelikova, who conducted no interviews, visited site in June 1992.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 20 September 2011 14:29|