You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic HORAZDOVICE: Klatovy, Plzen, Bohemia
HORAZDOVICE: Klatovy, Plzen, Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Horažďovice [Cz], Horaschdowitz [Ger], Horaždowitz is a town on the Otava River, 49°19' N, 13°43' E, 34 miles SSE of Plzeň (Pilsen).

website in Czech with photo: not landmarked. "Jewish settlement is documented from the early 17th century. During the Thirty Years War 10 Jews lived there,. From the 17th century, Jews lived in the eastern part of town. A remnant of the Jewish street, located near present-day streets Prácheňsko and Sevcikova. In 1837 10 of the original 13 houses now have been demolished or rebuilt). A 17th century Jewish school existed. The Jewish community ceased to exist in 1940. The oldest synagogue (early 17th century), maybe 1684, until a fire in 1868 when it was replaced with the new old. Extensive alterations were carried out in 1901, was increased female part and electricity was introduced. Ten lighting was by Krizik. During the WWI ater the synagogue was damaged and part of the inner metal equipment (eg large candelabra) were confiscated. In 1926, weddings were last held here. During WWII the building was destroyed and the equipment inside the synagogue served as a storehouse of health and economic facilities for the German army. After liberation, the synagogue was used for worship by the U.S. Army. After WWII, the synagogue served as a warehouse with rumors circulating about treasure in the floor. The last synagogue fell into disrepair and in 1980 demolished. Old Jewish cemetery survives, perhaps dating from the 15th century. That existed until about the 19th century when it was converted into a garden in the space between the fortification next to the synagogue. The new cemetery on the hill N of Loreto covers an area of ​​approximately 3100 sq m and is located 1 km N of the square. From the early 19th century, over 380 tombstones are visible. In 1979 the old cemetery gravestones that were brought here from an earlier canceled cemetery. [?] The oldest dates probably from 1684. Baroque tombstones in this cemetery are identical with tombstones from Volhynia. Cemetery mortuary house next to the cemetery was converted into a holiday cottage." [Sept 2011]

Medieval cemetery. 95 gravestones from the old cemetery have been moved to the newer cemetery. Source [February 2009]

partial burial list [February 2009]

map and photos: "The town Horažďovice lies about 15 km NW of the town of Sušice on the Otava river. The originally market seat was founded on the left bank of the Otava river by Bavor I of Strakonice. The village became a town and was fortified in 1293. A small water fortress, which formed foundations of the present chateau, was built here at that time. After the neighbouring Prácheň castle declined, the town partially became an administrative centre of the region and acquired some rights. Due to this status and the gold mining on the Otava river the town grew quickly in the Middle Ages and became an important mercantile centre. The town was captured twice in the 14th century. For the first time King Rudolph I and later, in 1399, by King Wenceslas IV. During the Hussite Wars in the 15th century, the town was allied with the Hussites. The development of Horažďovice, lying on the trade route between the towns České Budějovice and Plzeň (Pilsen), increased and culminated in the 16th century, when the duct was constructed there. At the time of the Thirty Years' War, Horažďovice was plundered and burnt down. New development started in the 18th century, but stopped soon because the town did not cooperate in the construction of the railroad from České Budějovice to Plzeň. The Baroque chateau with the town museum stands on the NW border of the square. The remains of the double town walls from the 14th century can be seen between the Pražská Brána (Prague Gate) and Prachatická Brána (Prachatice Gate). The Gothic Church of Sts. Peter and Paul is situated in the square not far from the chateau. It was founded together with the town in the first half of the 13th century. The Church of St. John the Baptist, found in the cemetery, was built in 1598.The speciality of Horažďovice was breeding pearl-oysters in the feeder on the Otava river. The pearl-oysters lived in the river through centuries and from the 18th century were bred here. About 12,000 shells were put into the river in 1775. The breeding declined because of the contamination of water and because of poachers and totally stopped after the Second World War." [February 2009] NEARBY:

ruins of the Rabí castle

ruins of the Prácheň castle

village Střelské Hoštice

small town and chateau Lnáře

small town Nalžovské Hory

town Sušice

 

HORAZDOVICE I:     US Commission No. CZCE0000086:

Alternate name: Horaschdowitz or Horazdowitz in German. Horazdovice is located in Bohemia, Klatovy, at 49º19 13º43, 50 km SE of Plzen. The old cemetery is located at 200 meters E, areas behind Sevcikova Street. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Mestsky Urad, 341 01 Horazdovice.
  • Regional: Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, 339 01 Klatovy and Zidovska Nabozenska Obec, Smetanovy sady 5, 301 37 Plzen.
  • Interested: Mestske Muzeum zamek, 341 01 Horazdovice and Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymove 3, 110 01 Praha 1 and Lubos Smolik, Okresni Muzeum, 339 01 Klatovy.
  • Earliest known Jewish community was first half of the 17th century. 1930 Jewish population was 106. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 17th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial between 1900 and 1935. The flat urban location has no sign or marker. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 0.1 ha. No stones are in original locations. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the site are new buildings after 1980. The municipality owns the property used for industrial or commercial and residential use. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial and residential. Rarely, private visitors stop. The cemetery demolished in 1920s, disbanded 1945-1981. In 1978-79, all gravestones were transferred to the new cemetery.

Marketa Cibulkova, Serikova 20, 317 05 Plzen; tel. 019/416-87 and Peter Braun, Komenskeho 43, 323 13 Plzen; tel. 019/52-15-58 and Rudolf Lowy, Jesenicka 33, 323 23 Plzen; tel. 019/52-06-84 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5 completed survey on May 21, 1992. Documentation: Gold: Juden Bohemens..., 1934; notes of Statni z. Muzeum Praha; Census of 1654, 1724, and 1930; and letter from local museum, 1983. Other exisiting documentation was not used. No site visits or interviews occurred.

HORAZDOVICE II:     US Commission No. CZCE000087

Key holder: Mr. J. Bejbl, cp. 225, 340 01 Horazdovice. Caretaker: Mr. J. Bejbl, cp. 225, 340 01 Horazdovice.
The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated between 1900 and 1935 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial before 1943. Inscriptions in Hebrew on gate or wall, inscriptions in Czech mark the isolated suburban hillside. A marker mentions the old cemetery reached by turning directly off a public road and open to all via a continuous masonry wall and locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.75 ha. The cemetery has no special sections. 100-500 tombstones date from 17th-20th century. The marble, granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims but no known mass graves. Within the limits of the site are a wall and a caretaker cottage. Plzen Jewish community owns the site used only as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II, never in 1981-91, and 1945-1981. Plzen Jewish congregation did restoration in 1989, 1990, and 1991 and pays the rgular caretaker. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution, vegetation and vandalism.
Marketa Cibulkova, Serikova 20, 317 05 Plzen; tel. 019/416-87 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on May 21, 1992. Documentation: Herman: Jewish Cemeteries of Bohemia and Moravia 1980; Gold: Juden Bohemens..., 1934; notes of Statni z. Muzeum Praha; Census of 1654, 1724, and 1930; and letter from local museum, 1983. Other exisiting documentation was not used. No site visits or interviews occurred.

Last Updated on Monday, 19 September 2011 17:35
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution