49°48′48″ s. š., 15°38′36. Villages Hoješín, Javorka, Kraskov, Počátky, Proseč, Prosíčka, Přemilov, Ústupky and Žďárec u Seče are administrative parts of Seč at 49°50′55″N 15°39′25″E. Hojesin town website. [September 2011]
website in Czech with photo: landmarked and freely accessible. "The cemetery located 1 km NW of the village on the southern bank of the Seč Dam was founded in the early 19th century (probably 1810). After construction of the dam in 1932, half of the cemetery area was elevated and surrounded by protective concrete wall. After WWII, most of the tombstones toppled into the dam or ended up in a pit near the cemetery, The mortuary was demolished and most of the perimeter wall was demolished. The cemetery area has only a symbolic group of seven gravestoness, the oldest from 1814, and part of the stone wall on the north side of the cemetery. The cemetery is free of unwanted vegetation." [September 2011]
US Commission No. CZCE000337:
Alternate name: Hojeschin [German]. Hojesin is located in Bohemia, Chrudim at 49º49 15º40, 24 km SW of Pardubice and 22 km NNE of Havlickuv Brod. Cemetery: 900 meters N of the village green. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
- Town: Obecni Urad Hojesin, 538 07 Sec 1.
- Regional: Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury (Director: mgr. Vera Brunclikova), Paradubicka ulice, 537 01 Chrudim; tel. 0455/2451 and Zidovska Nabozenska Obec v Praze, Maislova 18, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-69-25 and Pamatkovy Ustav Vychodnich Cech zamek, 530 02 Pardubice.
- Interested: Okresni Muzeum, Resselovo namesti, 537 01 Chrudim; tel. 0455/2434 and Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-06-34 or 231-07-85 and local historian Vladimir Zmek, Hojesin 28, 538 07 Sec 1.
- Earliest known Jewish community was prayer room recorded in 1724. Last prayer-room burned in 1902. The Jewish cemetery originated probably in 1810 with the last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1919. Chotebor, 11 km away, probably used this cemetery before 1894. Landmark: No. 839. Between fields and woods, the isolated flat land by water has Czech inscriptions mentioning the Jewish Community and liquidated cemetery. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall and a hedge or row of trees or bushes. There is no gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 0.124 ha s and is now approximately 0.04 ha. Seven mid-19th-20th century stones, none in original locations, are in situ. The marble flat shaped stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. The municipality owns Jewish cemetery property. Adjacent properties are agricultural and a river dam. The boundaries are smaller than 1939 because of "despotic" order of authorities. Occasionally, private visitors, local residents and tourists stop. Vandalism occurred 1945-1981. Both the mortuary and half of the wall were demolished in 1961. All tombstones were submerged in 1980 by regional/national authorities. Now, authorities occasionally clean or clear. [sic] Very serious threat: vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and vegetation.
- Engineer Mojmir Maly, Ve Stresovickach 58,Ve Stresovickach 58, 169 00 Praha 6; tel. 02/35-57-69 and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on August 22, 1992. Documentation: Census records of 1724 and 1930; cadastre of 1838 and 1855; letter of historian V. Zmek; and Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries..., 1980. No site visit or interviews occurred.