You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic HLUCIN: Opava, Silesia, Preußen
HLUCIN: Opava, Silesia, Preußen PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Hlučín [Cz], Hultschin [Ger], Hulczyn [Pol], Hluczyn. 49°54' N, 18°11' E. In Czech Silesia, 6 miles NW of Ostrava. 1930 Jewish population: 21. The villages Bobrovníky (German: Bobrownik, since 1939: Biberswald) and Darkovičky (German: Kleindarkowitz) belong to the town of Hlučín.

website in Czech with photo: not landmarked, freely accessible. "Scattered Jewish settlement from the early 18th century disappeared during the Interwar Period. The 1842-3 synagogue was demolished  in 1931. The cemetery founded in 1814 is 700 m E of the square at the crossroads of Ostravské and Rovniny streets. Before the war, about 250 tombstones were visible. Completely destroyed by the Nazis in 11942-3, part of the tombstones were used for a drainage trough. The Ceremonial Hall, built around 1860 was demolished in 1946 when part of the cemetery area became a burial ground for Soviet troops. The remaining 701 m2 became a park. In 2008-9 relocation and new installation of 43 complete and about 200 larger fragments of tombstones was done in the open area and 'to purchase a memorial stone and wrought fence with a gate from the street'." [September 2011]

US Commission No. CZCE000082:

Alternate names: Hlučín [Cz], Hultschin [Ger], Hulczyn [Pol], Hluczyn. Hlucin is located in Slezsko (Silesia)-Opava at 49°54' N, 18°11' E , 6 miles NW of Ostrava. Cemetery: 1 km SE, Rovniny Street. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.

  • Town: Magistrate Gert Wanderburg, Mestsky Urad, 748 01 Hlucin; tel. 069/21011.
  • Local: Magdalena Hadscokova, Mestsky Urad-Referat Kultury, 748 01 Hlucin; tel. 069/21011.
  • Regional: Engineer Romeo Doupal, Okresni Urad-Referat Kultury, Bezrucovo nam.14, 746 00 Opava; tel. 0653/212250.
  • Interested: Slezske Muzeum, dir. PHDr. Jaromir Kalus, Tyrsova 1, 746 00 Opava; tel. 0653/215386.

Earliest known Jewish community was 1792. 1930 Jewish population was 21 persons. The Jewish cemetery originated in 1814 with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1942. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The flat urban location has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via no wall, fence, or gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 50x60 meters.

No stones are in original locations. The cemetery contains no special memorial monuments, known mass graves, or structures. The municipality owns property used for recreation. Adjacent properties are recreational and residential. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II. Now, authorities occasionally clean or clear. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, pollution, vandalism and proposed nearby development.

Engineer arch. Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno; tel. 0 completed survey on 1.3.1992. Documentation: F. Ubelaker: 700 let mesta Hlucina, Ostrave 1956. Other exisiting documentation was not used. Klenovsky visited the site. No interviews.

Last Updated on Friday, 07 October 2011 10:06
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution