HLUBOKA NAD VLTAVOU: (Frauenberg) , České Budějovice Print

49°03' N 14°27' E, 71.1 miles S of Praha. Wikipedia. also see Zamosti

website in Czech with photo: landmarked and freely accessible. "The cemetery is located 500 meters SW from the center of the main road leading into Czech Budejovice, the pumping station and bank Munický pond. It was founded in the mid-17th century and expanded in the 19th century. About 190 tombstones from 1750 - 1941 are visible. During 1990s. cemetery area was cleared of self-seeded vegetation, fallen tombstones righted and the enclosing wall around the cemetery repaired. Currently maintenance is provided by the City of Hluboká. In 2009 the restoration of damaged historic tombstones began." [September 2011]

cemetery photo [February 2009]

Hluboka nad Vltavou is situated on the banks of the Vltava river about 10 km north of the town Ceske Budejovice, 394 m a.s.l. Originally settled around the castlefounded in the first half of the 13th century by King Wenceslas II. Its strategic importance diminished after the founding of Ceske Budejovice. In 1285, the village became property of Zavis of Falkenstejn, but the owners often changed. King Charles IV founded the water system with a lot of fish ponds around the town in the 14th century including nearby Bezdrev pond, one of the largest ponds in Bohemia. The name was Podhradi (meaning "settlement around the castle") until 1869. In 1908 the town merged with the village Zamosti on the opposite bank of the Vltava river giving new town the name Hluboka nad Vltavou ("Hluboka Above the Vltava River"). The chateau styled after the Royal Castle in Windsor and the Pseudo-Gothic Church of St. John Nepomucene from 1846 stand in the centrer of the town. Two game preserves found on both sides of the Vltava river north of the town include Stara Obora (Old Preserve) on the right bank used for the breeding of fallow-deer, mouflons [?] and wild boars and t other preserve on the left bank called Ponesicka Obora (Ponesice Preserve) where stags were bred. The old Jewish cemetery from the beginning of the 18th century is located below the dam of the Municky Rybnik (Munice Pond).The small Baroque hunters' chateau Ohrada with a hungtin museum and a small zoo are on the pond. [February 2009]

US Commission No. CZCE00037

Alternate name: Frauenberg in German, formerly Podhradi. Hluboka Nad Vltavou is located in Bohemia, Ceske Budejovice at 49º03 14º26, 8 km NNW of Ceske Budejovice. Cemetery: 500 meters W, near the pond called Municky Rybnik. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Mestsky Urad, 373 41 Hluboka nad Vltavou, mayor: tel, 038/96-50-66; vicemayor: tel. 038/96-50-32.
  • Regional: Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury (head: Ivan Bartos), Knezska 19, 370 01 Ceske Budejovice; tel. 038/374-60 AND Pamatkovy ustav jiznich Cech, namesti Premysla Otakara 34, 370 21 Ceske Budejovice; tel. 038/237-92. Zidovska Nabozenska Obec v Praze (Director: Ms. Jana Wolfova), Maislova 18, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-69-25.
  • Interested: Jihoceske Muzeum (head: Pavel Safr), Dukelska 1, 370 01 Ceske Budejovice; tel. 038/374-61 or 381-13 AND Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-06-34 or 231-07-85 AND local historian Josef Dobias, 373 41 Hluboka nad Vltavou 508.
  • Earliest known Jewish community was 1680. 1930 Jewish population was 20. Peak Jewish population was 1848; later, Jews moved to Ceske Budejovice and other big towns. The Jewish cemetery originated in 1752 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial in 1941. Ceske Budejovice (before 1867); Driten (Zirnau in German) 8 km and 12 km used this landmarked cemetery. The suburban flat land, between fields and woods, is isolated. [NOTE: Form appears to have been copied incompletely]
Last Updated on Friday, 07 October 2011 10:05