49°46' N 15°55' E, 67.8 miles ESE of Praha. [Also used the cemetery at Drevikov
website in Czech with photo: not landmarked. "The cemetery is located W of Hlinsko, on the left side of the road leading from the Trhové Kamenice on the outskirts of town. Created in 1904, high walls surround with an entrance through the light-colored brick ceremonial hall. The cemetery has 34 visible modern tombstones. the newest from 1939. 380 square meters, the smallest in Czech Republic. Buried there are several regional factory owners. In the 1990s, enclosure wall was repaired as was the mortuary and fallen tombstones righted. At present, ongoing maintenance." [September 2011]
town images [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000336:
Hlinsko is located in Bohemia, Chrudim at 49º46 and 15º55, 22 km SSE of Chrudim and 28 km NE of Havlickuv Brod. Cemetery: 1400 m W, on the cadastre of Vitanov, close to the road leading to Rvacov. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
- Local: Mestsky Urad, obdor skolstvi a kultury (head: Vaclav Musil), 539 01 Hlinsko; tel. 0454/222-01.
- Regional: Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, Pardubicka ulice, 537 01 Chrudim, tel-0455/2451 and Zidovska Nabozenska Obec v Praze, Maislova 18, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-69-25.
- Interested: Vlastivedne Muzeum, Havlickova 675, 539 01 Hlinsko; tel. 0454/213-14 and Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-06-34 or 231-07-85.
- Caretaker: Josef Vondra, Rvacovska 772, 539 01 Hlinsko.
- Earliest known Jewish community was second half of 19th century. 1930 Jewish population was 35. Only two Jewish families were permitted before mid-l9th century. A scanty congregation existed from second half of 19th century and disbanded in 1892. Jews moved to big towns in 20th century. Conservative or Progressive/Reform Congregation with a synagogue existed until 1941. The unlandmarked isolated rural (agricultural) flat land at the crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.038 ha. 20-100 stones, about half in original locations with between 50-75% toppled or broken date from 20th century. The marble, granite and slate flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. No known mass graves or special sections exist. Within the limits of the site is a pre-burial house with wall inscriptions. Praha Jewish community owns the site now is used as a Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991. Praha Jewish congregation pays the caretaker. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution, vegetation, existing nearby development, and proposed nearby development.
- Vlastimila Hamackova, Zabelska 37, 312 15 Plzen; tel. Office: 02/231-07-85 and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 21 August 1992. Documentation: censuses of 1830, 1849, and 1930; Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries..., 1980; notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha. No site visits or interviews occurred.