|FRANTISKOVY LAZNE: (Franzensbad) Horní Lomany, Cheb, Bohemia|
Alternate names: Františkovy Lázně [Cz], Franzensbad [Ger]. 50°07' N, 12°22' E, W Bohemia, 25 miles WSW of Karlovy Vary (Karlsbad), 3 miles N of Cheb (Eger). In Sudetenland before WWII. 1921 Jewish population: 95.Website in Czech with photo: Horní Lomany. not landmarked and freely accessible from the rear. "Jewish settlement is documented from the mid 19th century. Jewish Prayer Society was founded in 1863 and a kahal in 1875 lasted until the Nazi occupation. After 1945, the religious community briefly restored at chapel in Ashi. Jewish population: 1880 - 67 persons (3.3% of the population), 1900 - 34 persons (1.8% of the population), 1921 - 95 persons (3.7% of the population) and 1930 - 63 persons (2.5% of pop.). The Moorish style synagogue was built between 1873-1875 by architect Wiedermann. Located NW of the city center at the corner of today's Americké and Francouzské ulice. The Nazis burned it in 1938, together with the municipal hospital and the house and its walls. Demolished in 1944. The Jewish cemetery located on land in Horní Lomany in the vicinity of the town cemetery, near the railway crossing. Founded in 1875 and extended to the end of the 19th century and early 20th century, Nazis took the gravestones in 1938. The only surviving fragment is the perimeter wall fence with a gate -1460 meters square. The house in the SE corner was built after 1945. The area is now used as a garden and stone storehouse of material." [September 2011]
Stones from the cemetery pillaged by the Nazis in 1938 are either stolen or buried. The pre-burial house has been turned into a store and the site into a garden. town images [February 2009]
Frommer article [February 2009]
town web site for accomodations [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE0000332:
Alternate name: Franzensbad in German. Frantiskovy Lazne is located in the Bohemia, Cheb region at 50º07 12º22, about 5 km NNW of Cheb. The cemetery is located 1000 meters NW of the railroad station, cadastre of Horni Lomany (Ober-Lohma in German), near the Catholic Church. Present town population is 5,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 20 September 2011 14:01|