You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic FRANTISKOVY LAZNE: (Franzensbad) Horní Lomany, Cheb, Bohemia
FRANTISKOVY LAZNE: (Franzensbad) Horní Lomany, Cheb, Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Františkovy Lázně [Cz], Franzensbad [Ger]. 50°07' N, 12°22' E, W Bohemia, 25 miles WSW of Karlovy Vary (Karlsbad), 3 miles N of Cheb (Eger). In Sudetenland before WWII. 1921 Jewish population: 95.

Website in Czech with photo: Horní Lomany. not landmarked and freely accessible from the rear. "Jewish settlement is documented from the mid 19th century. Jewish Prayer Society was founded in 1863 and a kahal in 1875 lasted until the Nazi occupation. After 1945, the religious community briefly restored at chapel in Ashi. Jewish population: 1880 - 67 persons (3.3% of the population), 1900 - 34 persons (1.8% of the population), 1921 - 95 persons (3.7% of the population) and 1930 - 63 persons (2.5% of pop.). The Moorish style synagogue was built between 1873-1875 by architect Wiedermann. Located NW of the city center at the corner of today's Americké and Francouzské ulice. The Nazis burned it in 1938, together with the municipal hospital and the house and its walls. Demolished in 1944. The Jewish cemetery located on land in Horní Lomany in the vicinity of the town cemetery, near the railway crossing. Founded in 1875 and extended to the end of the 19th century and early 20th century, Nazis took the gravestones in 1938. The only surviving fragment is the perimeter wall fence with a gate -1460 meters square. The house in the SE corner was built after 1945. The area is now used as a garden and stone storehouse of material." [September 2011]

Stones from the cemetery pillaged by the Nazis in 1938 are either stolen or buried. The pre-burial house has been turned into a store and the site into a garden. town images [February 2009]

Frommer article [February 2009]

town web site for accomodations [February 2009]

US Commission No. CZCE0000332:

Alternate name: Franzensbad in German. Frantiskovy Lazne is located in the Bohemia, Cheb region at 50º07 12º22, about 5 km NNW of Cheb. The cemetery is located 1000 meters NW of the railroad station, cadastre of Horni Lomany (Ober-Lohma in German), near the Catholic Church. Present town population is 5,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.

      • Town: Mestsky Urad, Nadrazni 5, 351 01 Frantiskovy Lazne; tel. 0166/94-22-88.
  • Regional: (1) Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, Obrnene brigady 30, 350 02 Cheb; tel. 0166/308-21 or 309-21 and (2) Zidovska Nabozenska Obec, Smetanovy sady 5, 301 17 Plzen; tel. 019/357-49.
  • Interested: (1) Mestske Muzeum (Director: Dr. Pavel Stribrny), Dr. Pohoreckeho 8, 351 01 Frantiskovy Lazne; tel. 0166/94-23-44; (2) Chebske Muzeum, namesti Krale Jiriho, 350 11 Cheb; tel. 0166/223-86 or 223-87; and (3) Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-06-34 or 231-07-85.
  • Key: Mr. Hrdlicka, 351 01 Frantiskovy Lazne c.90.
  • The first prayer room in Frantiskovy Lazne was in the 1830s. 1930 Jewish population was 63. The religious society in Frantiskovy Lazne was founded in 1863; the independent congregation originated in 1875. A new congregation, called "Congregation Frantiskovy Lazne with seat in As", existed after WWII, but ceased as a consequence of both aliyah and emigration. The Jewish cemetery originated in 1875 with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1939. The flat suburban site, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached off a public road, access is open with permission via continuous masonry wall and locking gate. The size of cemetery before WWII and now is 0.3 ha.
  • No gravestones are visible. The Nazis stole some gravestones; some were buried after WWII. Plzen Jewish community owns the site now used as a garden. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Private visitors rarely visit. Vandalism by the Nazis occurred in 1938 and other vandalism until about 1982. Within the limits of the cemetery is a pre-burial house, re-constructed into a store.
  • Dr. Peter Braun, Komenskeho 43, 323 13 Plzen; tel. 019/52-15-58; (2) Rudolf Lowy, Jesenicka 33, 323 23 Plzen; tel. 019/52-06-84; and (3) Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on September 2, 1992. Documentation: (1) Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohemens, 1934; (2) Jahrbuch fur die Israelite Cultusgemeinden Bohemens, 1893-94; and (3) letter of Dr. P. Stribrny, 1893. Braun, Lowy, and Dr. Pavel Sebesta of Chebske Muzeum visited site in March 1992. Mr. Hrdlicka was interviewed in 1992.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 20 September 2011 14:01
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution