|DVUR KRALOVE NAD LABEM: Trutnov, Karlovy, Bohemia|
website in Czech with photo: not landmarked and freely accessible "The cemetery is located 1.5 km Nof the square on the outskirts Vorel on the corner of Neruda and Spojených národů. The cemetery was founded in 1883 and gradually after World War II destroyed leading to the 1960 liquidation, including the walls, a ceremonial hall and tombstones. The trees around the massive classical tomb with remains of about 30 other stelae strewn about or glued together. The area is cleaned until 2004by the town Dvur Kralove nad Labem. Since 2005, ongoing maintenance of cemetery is paid by the Jewish community in Prague." [September 2011]
Devastated between 1945 and 1947 by war, the Jewish community liquidated the cemetery in 1959. Tombstones were removed. The columbarium, ceremonial hall, and boundary walls were demolished. Today, the site is a park with tombstone fragments and a memorial stone extant. Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), p. 348: "Dvur Kralove nad Labem". photos [February 2009]
Story about memorial [January 2009] Eva Noskova — the only Jew still living in Dvur Kralove — her family escaped to England at the beginning of the war and returned in 1945. "DVUR KRALOVE nad Labem was founded in 1139; Jews received permission to settle there in 1848, and the earliest known Jewish community existed in the town in 1862. The synagogue was built in 1890. By 1930, the Jewish population was 182. By the end of the Holocaust, there were no Jews left in Dvur Kralove; in 1945, Eva Noskova’s family returned from England, where they had fled when the war broke out. The town is most famous for its zoo, which began as a zoological garden in the private park owned by Richard Neumann, a Jewish factory owner. His land was seized by the Nazis and eventually nationalized by the communists. The park was opened to the public in 1946.The synagogue in Dvur Kralove survived the Holocaust but not the communists. In 1966, they tore it down to make way for a four-lane highway. Until now there was no marker indicating a synagogue had ever stood there.The Torah scroll acquired by Temple Sholom is one of 1,564 Czech scrolls taken by the Nazis from synagogues in Bohemia and Moravia that were later rescued and distributed by the Czech Memorial Scrolls Centre in London. Among the places that house the scrolls is the White House." [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000331
Alternate names: Dvůr Králové nad Labem [Cz], Königinhof an der Elbe [Ger], Dvŭr Králové. Dvur Kralove nad Labem is located in the Bohemia, Trutnov region at 50°26' N, 15°49' E , about 23 km N of Hradec Kralove, 23 km W of Nachod and 31 km E of Jicin, 64 miles ENE of Praha. The cemetery is located 1100 meters NNW of the main square, at the corner of Spojenych Narodu Street and Stitneho Street. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 1862. Jewish population: 332 (in 1910) 1930 Jewish population was 182. In 1848, Jews were permitted to settle here. Peak Jewish population was early in the 20th century. Famous sculptor Otto Gutfreund (1889-1927) lived here. The Conservative or Progressive Jewish cemetery originated between 1883-1885. Founders of the local textile industry were buried in the unlandmarked cemetery with last known Jewish burial before 1943. The urban flat isolated site has no sign or marker. Reached off a public road, access is open to all via no wall, fence, or gate. The size of cemetery before WWII and now is 0.1329 ha.
1-100 gravestones, none in original location and about 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from the late 19th-20th centuries. Stones removed from the cemetery are in a museum/conservation (sold or stolen). The granite, limestone and sandstone tombstones flat shaped stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. A memorial in the cemetery is made of the remaining tombstones. Praha Jewish community owns the property now used as a Jewish cemetery and a park. Adjacent properties are recreational, gardens, and residential. Private visitors and local residents visit frequently as a park. The cemetery was devastated in 1945-1947. After 1959, the Jewish congregation liquidated it. Tombstones were removed and columbarium walls pulled down. Local municipal authorities and Jewish groups within the country erected the memorial in 1960. Occasionally, authorities clear or clean. Moderate security and weather erosion threats face this cemetery. Slight threats are pollution and incompatible nearby existing development. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access.
Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on August 28, 1992. Documentation: (1) Jahrbuch fur die Israelite Cultusgemeinden Bohemens, 1893-94; (2) A. Weiner article in Zpravy vlastivedneho krouzku ve Dvore Kralove (1972); (3) archives of Cemetery Commission of Jewish Congregation in Praha; and (4) letter of Vit Korec, last head of regional Jewish Community in Trutnov (1982-1987). Fiedler visited in 1990 and interviewed V. Korec in 1982-87 in Praha.
|Last Updated on Monday, 19 September 2011 13:59|