See photo of cemetery. [February 2009]
Also referred to as Veselice cemetery. photo [February 2009]
Alternate name: (Ger. Domauschitz) also used cemeteries at Hrivcice and at Mnichovo Hradiste
US Commission No. CZCE000035
Alternate German name: Domausnitz. The town is in Bohemia, Mlada Boleslav at 50º22 15º07, 13 km ESE of Mlada Boleslav and 56 km NE of Praha (Prague). The cemetery is 2 km NE, on the cadastre of Veselice. Present town population is under 1,000 people with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community dates from early 19th century. In the 1930, no Jews lived in Domousnice and 2 lived in Veselice. The largest Jewish population was in the mid-19th century with about 100 people, who later moved to big towns. The congregation disbanded probably in the second half of the 19th century. The cemetery originated between 1900 and 1935 with last known Conservative Jewish burial possibly 1938. Dolni Bousov (German name: Nieder-Bausow or Unter-Bautzen), Liban before 1910, and probably Krinec before 1885 used site. Dolni Bousov is 4 km from the unlandmarked cemetery, Liban 6 km, and Krinec 14 km away. Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside has no sign. Reached by turning off a public road, access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall with no gate and a hedge or row of trees. The cemetery's size both before World War II and presently is 0.291 ha.
20-100 gravestones, most in original locations with 1-20 walled up, date from 1831-20th century. Less than 25% are toppled or broken. Some removed stones are in a museum of conservation. The granite or sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German, Czech, or Latin inscriptions. Some stones have portraits and/or metal fences around the graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Prague Jewish community owns the site used as a garden. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Compared to 1939, the boundaries are smaller because of agriculture. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally in the last ten years, and between 1945 and ten years ago. Cleared vegetation and fixing the wall by Jewish groups within the country, occasionally by the caretaker and in 1992 by others was the maintenance. Occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals or by the regular caretaker paid by the Jewish congregation. Within the limits of the cemetery is a gravedigger's house. Security (because it is a secluded spot) and vandalism are serious threats, and vegetation is a slight threat.
Engineer Mojmir Maly, Ve Stresovickach 58, 169 00 Praha 6; tel. 02/35-57-69 and by Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on July 31, 1992. Documentation census of 1849, and 1930; the cadastre of 1843; notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha; and a letter of L. Pokorny of 1893 (see above). J. Fiedler visited in 1980 and M. Maly in 1992 c. No interviews were conducted.
|Last Updated on Friday, 20 February 2009 19:03|