|DOLNI BOLIKOV: Jindrichuv Hradec, Moravia|
website in Czech with photo: "Jewish settlement from the 2nd half of the 17th century. Jewish section in the northern part of the village originally consists of about 25 houses including municipal building No. 67th The synagogue was demolished in 1899-1900. The cemetery is located 500 meters SW of the village in the fields. Founded in the late 17th century, an area of 732 m2 has about 120 tombstones, the oldest from 1701 (Aaron's son Jakob Austerlitz). Others include that of Heinrich Mayer (1835 - 1905), founder of the Neues Wiener Blatt. On the eastern side is a simple mortuary restored in 2002-5. At the beginning of the 1990s, the cemetery had several dead trees and was overgrown with dense shrubbery. Most tombstones from the 19th century and early 20th century was toppled, only three. During the 1990s, the cemetery area was cleared in 2002 repaired: and the mortuary, some toppled tombstones righted, and in 2005 the remaining headstones were righted. Current ongoing maintenance needed." landmarked and freely accessible. 49°2′11″ 15°22′9″ [September 2011]
cemetery photos. [September 2011]
The Jewish community was densely settled in the eastern part of the Nova Bystrice region, Jindrichuv Hradec district with the only remainder after the Holocaust being the desolate synagogues in Jindrichuv Hradec and Telc and cemeteries in Markvarec, Stare Mesto pod Landstejnem, Dolni Bolikov, Jindrichuv Hradec and Nova Bystrice. Source of information about Jewish communities in the area. The synagogue of an unknown date was demolished between 1899 and 1900. In the cemetery from the end of the 18th century is the tombstone of Heinrich Mayer [1835-1905], the founder of the newspaper Neues Wiener Tagblatt. See photos at the bottom of the page. [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE00077
Alternate name: Woelking in German. Dolni Bolikov is located in Morava-Jindrichuv Hradec at 45º05 15º20, 45 km S of Jihlava. Cemetery: 1 km W. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 1678. 1930 Jewish population was 3. Jewish community was cancelled 1891. Heinrich Mayer, 1835-1905, publicist lived and is buried here. The Jewish cemetery originated in beginning of 18th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1920s or 1930s. Slavonice, 5 km away, used this cemetery listed as Nr. 1786 S.B. landmark. Between fields and woods, the flat isolated site has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.0732 ha.
100-500 stones, all in original locations, date from 1701-20th century. The granite flat shaped stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and German inscriptions. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains no special memorial monuments or known mass graves but a pre-burial house. Praha Jewish community owns cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991. Jewish groups within the country did restoration in 1970s. Praha Jewish congregation pays the caretaker. Serious threat: uncontrolled access. Moderate threat: pollution, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, existing and proposed nearby development.
|Last Updated on Monday, 19 September 2011 11:57|