You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic DLOUHY UJEZD: Tachov, Bohemia
DLOUHY UJEZD: Tachov, Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

2006 population: 811.

website in Czech with photo: "Jewish settlement is documented from the early 17th century when in 1618 allegedly on the "farm Dlouhý Újezd - Studánka " three families lived. The largest population was in the first half of the 19th century: 1830 had 20 Jewish families with 116 persons,1880 with 79 people or 12.5% ​​of the population. Later, their number declined in 1900 to 3 Jews, in 1921, then no. Jewish street [Židovská ulička] was located in the eastern part of the village. Of the original ten houses, only one remains. The ghetto formed a short blind alley with branches off the main village street at the eastern end of the south. Jewish religious community existed in the 18th century. In 1713  a small chapel held religious services on Saturday and families from neighboring Studánka with a reader and teachers. A rabbi is documented (Jacob Auerbach, who died in 1816). About 1850, the Jewish community placed their school in a wooden house VIII in the main street.The former chapel was demolished. The local synagogue was documented in 18th to 19th century. The freely accessible and unlandmarked cemetery with an area of ​​1623 m2 is situated approximately 1km from Židovská ulička, 400 m west from the edge of the village on a hill in the woods. The Jewish community received the land from the local nobility of Perglarů Perglasu. The exact time of founding is not known, but was before the 1737, I210 tombstones are visible. The oldest dates from 1736, of which some 180 granite tombstones of the first half of the 18th century to the early 19th century are found in fifteen rows in the older southern part of the cemetery. Most newer tombstones in the northern part are toppled. The cemetery has a number of valuable Baroque and Classicist tombstones. Burials include some from the nearest Jewish community, which had its own cemetery (Částkov, Lesná, Tisová, Halže, Pavlův Studenec ). Family relationships or the higher fee for the closer Tachovske cemetery may have been the controlling factor. Many Hebrew epitaphs include the German town name (Langendörflas). In 2006 the cemetery was repaired at the initiative of the Museum of the Bohemian Forest in Tachov." [September 2011]

Cemetery photos [February 2009]

US Commission No. LCE0000006

Alternate name: Langendorflas in German, Dlouhý Újezd in Czech. Dlouhy Ujezd is located in Bohemia, Tachov at 49º47' 12º38', 52 km W of Plzen. Cemetery: 1000 m W. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Mestsky Urad, 347 01 Tachov.
  • Regional: Okresni urad, odbor kultury, 347 01 Tachovy.Interested: Zdenek Prochazska, Vodni 18, 344 01 Domazlice, AND Okresni Muzeum, trida Miru 447, 347 01 Tachovy.
  • Interested: Zidovska Nabozenska Obec, Smetanovy sady 5, 301 37 Plzen, AND Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1.

Earliest known Jewish community was 1724. 1910 Jewish population was 0. Jews moved to big towns between 1870-1910. The Jewish cemetery originated before 1737 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial probably before 1910. Studanka (German: Schonbrunn), 1.5 km away, used unlandmarked cemetery. The wooded flat isolated site has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is about 2500 sq m.

100-500 stones, most in original locations, date from 18th century. The granite flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Zidovska Nabozenska Obec Plzen owns Jewish cemetery property. Adjacent properties are forest. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred probably prior to World War II, during World War II, occasionally 1945-1991. Individuals or groups of non-Jewish origin did restoration in July 1989. (See above Zdenek Prochazka) There is no maintenance. Serious threat: vandalism. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and vegetation. Slight threat: weather erosion.

Jiri Fiedler, z"l completed survey on 12 November using register of Jews 1724, and land register 1838, and notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha (about 1960), and Gold: Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohemens...(1934). No site visits or interviews occurred.

Last Updated on Friday, 16 September 2011 14:07
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution