|DLOUHA VES: Klatovy, Bohemia|
website in Czech with photo: "The beginnings of Jewish settlement probably was before the 1724. In the first quarter of the 18th century the Jewish population of about 20 families had a synagogue. The largest settlement was probably in the mid-19th century, 37 Jewish families. Gradually, their numbers declined as a result of migration to the cities. In 1921 only 13 Jews, but in 1930 none. The Jewish houses are concentrated at the center of the village between the church and Economic Justice [sic]. The oldest dates from the mid-18th century with 24 houses in the mid-19th century. Some of them have been preserved and restored. The extremely interesting classical synagogue burned down in 1937 and was subsequently demolished. The [landmarked and freely accessible] cemetery of 1100 m2 is located approximately 300 meters SE of the church. Built before 1724, the oldest of the 49 visible tombstones are from the 18th century (the oldest 1742). Burials in this cemetery took place until 1930 (often Kašperské funerals of the mountains) [sic]. The local Jewish community was abolished by Act of 1890. Administration of cemetery during the Nazi occupation in Kašperské Hory. The cemetery was completely destroyed by the Nazis, In 1945 some historic tombstones were returned and the cemetery partially reconstructed. A simple cemetery with Baroque and Classicist style gravestones." [September 2011]
cemetery photo [February 2009]
US Commission No. CZCE000076
Alternate name: Langendorf, Altlangendorf c. Stara Dlouha Ves in German. Dlouha Ves is located in Bohemia, Klatovy 49º12' 13º31', 4 km S of Susice; 60 km S of Plzen. Cemetery: 550 m SSE. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was early 18th century. 1930 Jewish population (census) was 8. Jews moved to big town in second half of 19th century. The Jewish cemetery originated before 1724 with last known Conservative Jewish burial about 1836. Kasperske Hory (German: Bergreichenstein), 6 km away, used this landmarked cemetery. The flat isolated rural (agricultural) site has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via no wall, fence, or gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was about 1800 sq. m. and is now 0.18 ha. 20-100 stones, none in original locations, date from 1742-19th century. The granite and limestone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Plzen Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II when all stones were removed by local people but after liberation in 1945, all old and historical tombstones were put back. Local non-Jewish residents, individuals or groups of non-Jewish origin, local/municipal authorities and Jewish individuals within country did restoration in August 1945 (reconstruction of old part of cemetery) and periodic follow-up care. Now, authorities occasionally clean or clear. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and vegetation.
See Hugo Gold book on Moravian Jewish communities: Die Juden and Judengemeinde Mahrens in Vergangenheit und Gegenwart. The 1934 book contains pre-Holocaust compilations on Jewish communities in Bohemia and Moravia and their history. The compilation includes names of Jews living in certain towns often in the 1700 or 1800's. Pogroms may be mentioned. Also see Bergreichenstein [February 2009]
|Last Updated on Friday, 16 September 2011 13:35|