|DIVISOV: Benesov, Bohemia|
49 ° 48 '5.08 "N, 14 ° 53 '57.31. 27.4 miles SE of Praha. market town near the Sázava Riverand Blanice River, 24 mi SE of Prague. Villages Dalovy (240.32 hectares (593.8 acres)), Křešice u Divišova (185.26 hectares (457.8 acres)), Lbosín (362.27 hectares (895.2 acres)), Měchnov (462.33 hectares (1,142.4 acres)) and Zdebuzeves (728.28 hectares (1,799.6 acres)) are administrative parts of Divišov. Wikipedia has cemetery photos. There is also a synagogue [Oct 2013]
cemetery photo [February 2009]
The cemetery was founded in 1776 or 1777 with the first Jewish religious community although the first Jewish family lived their in the 1600s. About 2 miles from Divisov, the cemetery was expanded in 1827 was expanded to the current 2,921 m 2 .About 190 Baroque and Classical tombstones and their fragments are visible,Tthe oldest legible tombstone dates from 1795 and the last from October 1941 . Older Baroque sandstone gravestones eroded and delaminate although those from the early 20th century are intact. The area is also surrounded by broken stone walls and is freely accessible. Only the ceremonial hall outer walls remain, but at the end of the 20th century, it was renovated and given a new roof. Currently, the cemetery belongs to the Jewish community Prague and is gradually being restored. [Oct 2013]
US Commission No. CZCE000224
Alternate name: Diwischau; Sternberg in German. Divisov is located in Bohemia, Benesov at 49º47 14º53, 13 km E of Benesov and 42 km SE of Prague. Cemetery: 2 km NE (on the cadastre of Mechnov). Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community originated in 1776. 1930 Jewish population was 20. The Jews moved to big towns after 1848. Independent Jewish congregation disbanded in 1930. Writer Frantisek Kafka (1909-1991) spent his childhood here. The landmarked Jewish cemetery originated in perhaps 1776 with last known Conservative Jewish burial probably in 1930s. The flat isolated rural (agricultural) site without sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property off a public road road and a field. Open to all, the cemetery is surrounded by a broken masonry wall (but still quite sturdy) and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.3072 ha.
20-100 stones date from the end of 18th-20th century. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones or multi-stone monuments have inscriptions in Hebrew, German and Czech. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the site is a pre-burial house. Prague Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II, occasionally 1945-1991. Local non-Jewish residents and Jewish groups within country did last repair about 1914--mortuary. There is no maintenance. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion and pollution. Slight threat: vegetation, vandalism, and existing and proposed nearby development.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 23 November 2014 17:13|