|CICHTICE (Bavarov): Strakonice|
website in Czech with photos: "The cemetery located 800 meters SE of the village on the slope between the meadows was founded probably in the second quarter of the 18th century. About 130 tombstones are visible, the oldest from 1798, the newest of early 20th century. A number are of the South Bohemian type with floral ornaments. Late 1920s mortuary was reconstructed. By the mid 1990s, the cemetery was overgrown with dense foliage removed in the last half of the 1990s. At the end of the 20th century the mortuary restoration was only long-term devastation on outer wall. At the same time, all toppled tombstones were repaired as was part of the quarry stone wall. Currently ongoing maintenance is required to complete repairs and restoration of the wall as are a few dozen tombstones from the early 19th century. Work began in 2006. Landmarked and freely accessible." [September 2011]
US Commission No. CZCE000298:
Alternate names: Tschichtitz and Czichtitz. The village is located in Bohemia, Strakonice at 49º06' 14º04', 8 km SW of Vodnany and 22 km SSW of Pisek and 30 km NW of Ceske Budejovice. The cemetery at Cichtice is located 400 m SE of the village.
The earliest known Jewish presence was establishment of a prayer room in 1724. However, 1921, 1930 censuses indicate no Jews in town. There were 25 Jewish families permitted in the 19th century. They moved to other towns. The congregation disbanded probably in late 19th century. The Jewish cemetery originated between 1725-1797 with last known Conservative burial in early 20th century. Before 1840, Vodnany (German: Wodnian), 8 km away, also used the cemetery. The isolated rural hillside has no sign or marker. Open to all, it. Reached by crossing a privately owned field with a broken masonary wall without gate. Before WWII and now size is 0.1439 ha.
100-500 gravestones, all in original location but more than 75% toppled or broken, and 20-100 incorporated in (unknown) town projects date from 1798. Others date from 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. The marble, granite or limestone flat-shaped, finely smoothed and inscribed, with relief decoration, or multi-stoned monuments have Hebrew and/or German inscriptions. Some tombstones show traces of painting on their surfaces. There are no known mass graves. There is a pre-burial house ruin. Praha Jewish community owns site used only as Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally between 1945 and ten years ago. Seasonal vegetation growth hampers access to the site. Local non-Jewish residents cleared in 1992. Nothing is done now. Security is a serious problem (secluded); weather erosion and pollution are moderate threats.
Martina Chmelikova, Nad Ondrejovem 16, 140 00 Praha 4; tel. 02/69-20-350 and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 0 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey 23 November 1992. Documentation: 1724, 1835, 1931 and 1930 censuses, Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries... (1980); and letters of V. Braun (1981-82). Other documentation was too old, too general to use, or inaccessible, or in archives of Jewish congregation of Praha. M. Chmelikova visited site in June 1992.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 15 September 2011 17:26|