|CHYSE: Karlowy Vary, Bohemia|
Stones removed from the cemetery were used in the foundation of the school in 1970. [February 2009]
Communist rule badly damaged the Jewish ghetto situated in the middle of the village near the townhall. Nothing remains of the buildings except a few rebuilt houses. Even the synagogue and the cemetery were destroyed in the ´70s. Chyse dates from 1169 at least. In 1473 the village was granted the privilege as a town. A new surrounding walls were build. Only a few baroque buildings survived the Communist blocks of flats. [February 2009]
CHYSE (I): US Commission No. CZCE000222
Earliest known Jewish community was late 17th century. 1930 Jewish population was 22. Peak Jewish population was in mid-19th century (about 150 people). Independent Jewish congregation disbanded in 1893. Ancestors of families Kisch (name chiesch -Kisch) lived here. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated before 1658 with last known probably Conservative Jewish burial about 1883. Zlutice (German: Luditz), 6 km away, used cemetery. The isolated suburban hillside by water has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via no wall, fence, or gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is probably 0.0935 ha. No stones are in original locations. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. The municipality probably owns the site now is used for crops or animal grazing and residential purposes. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II, never in 1981-91 and 1945-1981 (closed down about 1970). There is no maintenance. Moderate threat: pollution.
Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 28 June 1992 using Census 1724, 1870, 1930; cadastre 1841, 1860; H Gold: Die Juden.. Bohemens (1934); Heimatbuch des Kreises Luditz (1971); notes of former Catholic Parish Priest M.Janak (deceased); letters of T.Kohn-see above (1986-1987). The site was not visited.
CHYSE (II): US Commission No. CZCE000223
Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 2/55-33-40 completed survey on 28 June 1992 using Census 1724, 1870, 1930; Hugo Gold: Die Juden Bohemens ...(1934); Heimatbuch des Kreises Luditz (1971); notes of former Catholic Parish Priest M. Janak (deceased); letters of T. Kohn-see 12 [sic] (1986-1987). The site was not visited.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 21 February 2009 00:24|