CHOTEBOR: Havlichuv Brod, Vysočina, Bohemia Print

Population: 9,739 (2005). 49°43′15″N 15°40′13″E.

Neighbors Who Disappeared Project. [September 2011]

website in Czech with photos: "The unlandmarked cemetery is located on the southern outskirts of the town in Žižkov close to the town cemetery. Established in 1894 on 1,390 meters2 and used until 1930s. In several rows are visible about 94 modern tombstones or portions thereof. From 1986 - 1989, the area was devastated and demolished were the Romanesque mortuary with a ceremonial hall, built between 1894 - 1895, a house and a gravedigger facility. Since the 1990s ongoing maintenance of the cemetery should continue in the future." [September 2011]

US Commission No. CZCE000221

Alternate name: Chotiebor. Chotieborsch in German. Chotebor is located in Bohemia, Havlickuv Brod, at 49º03' 15º00', 34 km S of Pardubice. Cemetery is 800 m S, in Zizkova Street. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with probably no Jews.

  • Town: Mestsky Urad, 430 01 Chomutov; tel. (0453) 2138 or 2021, (Mayor: Jiri Pavlasek).
  • Regional: Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, 580 01 Havlickuv Brod, AND Zidovska Nabozenska Obec v Praze (Mrs. Jana Wolfova), Maislova 18, 110 0 1 Praha 1; tel. (02) 231-69-25.
  • Interested: Mestske Muzeum, Riegrova 1, 583 01 Chotebor; tel. (0453) 3292 AND Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel.(02) 231-06-34 or 231-07-85 AND Jaroslav Tichy (former custodian of local museum and conservator of monuments), Stromovka 621, 583 01 Chotebor.
  • Key holder: Technicke sluzby, 583 01 Chotebor; tel. (0453) 2940 or 2340.
    [Probably used cemetery at Hojesin before 1894]

Earliest known Jewish community was before 1893. 1930 Jewish population was 39. Jews moved to big towns in second half of 19th century. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated probably in 1894-1895. Buried in the cemetery are grandfather of famous writers, brothers Frantisek and Jiri Langer with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jews Jewish burial was 1941. The flat suburban site, separate but near cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission via continuous masonry wall and locking gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 0.1419 ha s and is now about 0.137 ha. The cemetery has special section for children.

20-100 stones, most in original locations, date from 19th-20th century. The granite and limestone sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Praha Jewish community owns the site now used only for Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are municipal cemetery. The boundaries are smaller now than 1939. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991. Local/municipal authorities or Jewish groups within country did restoration in 1990. Now, authorities occasionally clean or clear. Moderate threat: vegetation. Slight threat: weather erosion and vandalism.

Martina Chelikova, Nad Ondrejovem 16, 140 00 Praha 4, tel.(02) 69-20-350 AND Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 9 June 1992 using Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries. (1980); Jahrbuch fur die israelische Kultusgemeinden Bohemens (1894-1895); letters of J. Tichy from 1982-1986 (above). The site was not visited.

Last Updated on Thursday, 15 September 2011 16:53