CHLUMEC NAD CIDLINOU: Hradec Kralove, Bohemia Print

50°9′20″N 15°27′28″E. Town history on Wikipedia. Cemetery telephone: 226235214 [September 2011]

website in Czech with photo. "Burials began in 1905 Jewish cemetery on Alejské ulici on the SE edge of town. 638 meters2 has 36 modern tombstones since WWII. A Neo-Gothic ceremonial hall, built probably by J. Vejrych today serves the entire city cemetery. Currently, ongoing maintenance by an employee of the town cemetery without financial compensation. Cemetery is part of the municipal cemetery and accessible during its open hours." [September 2011]

Also used cemeteries at Novy Bydzov in the 19th century.

US Commission No. ZCE0000325:

Alternate name: Chlumetz an der Zidlina in German. Chlumec nad Cidlinou is located in Bohemia, Hradec Kralove at 50º09 _1º02. Chlumec nad Cidlinou, 25 km WSW of Hradec Kralove and 25 km NW of Pardubice. Cemetery: 1 km WSW of square. Present town population is 5,000 with than 10 Jews.

  • Town: Mestsky Urad, 503 51 Chlumec nad Cidlinou; tel. 0448/92-62-11.
  • Regional: Zidovska Nabozenska Obec v Praze, Maslova 18, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-69-25.
  • Interested: Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-06-34 or 231-07-85. Key holder: Vaclav Bien.
  • Caretaker: Vaclav Bien (Caretaker of all municipal cemeteries), Lucice 59, 503 51 Chlumec nad Cidlinou.

Earliest known Jewish community was second half of 19th century. 1930 Jewish population was 51. Before 1848, only 3 Jewish families were permitted. Modern religious society with prayer-hall was recorded in 1879. Independent congregation originated in 1896 and disbanded in 1931. Numerous Jewish communities with this cemetery existed allegedly in 16th century. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery definitely dates from early 20th century with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial in 1981. The flat suburban site, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all (as a municipal cemetery) via a continuous masonry wall. There is a locking gate to municipal cemetery; original special gate of Jewish part is walled now. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is about 0.08 ha.

20-100 20th century stones, all in original location, are marble and granite finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments with inscriptions in Hebrew and Czech. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the site is a pre-burial house (originally for Jewish funerals only but used for all municipal cemeteries). The cemetery has no special sections. The municipality owns Jewish cemetery property. Adjacent properties are agricultural and municipal cemetery. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents stop. This cemetery was not vandalized. Local/municipal authorities and Jewish individuals within country did restoration. Now a regular caretaker (caretaker of all municipal cemeteries) is paid by a local contribution. Slight threat: vandalism and proposed nearby development.

Engineer Mojmir Maly, Ve Stresovickach 58, 169 00 Praha 6; tel. 02/55-33-40 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 30 August 1992 using Die Juden un Judengemeinden Bohemens.. (1934); Karel Khun: Dejiny a kulturni obraz mesa Chlumce nad Cidlinou (1932). The site was not visited.

Last Updated on Thursday, 15 September 2011 16:39