|CHLISTOV: Klatovy, Plzen|
website in Czech with photo: "Jewish settlement here dates from the early 19th century. Jewish houses were scattered throughout the village. In the northern part of the village is a Jewish house No. 38/39. The 1834 synagogue found in the village was demolished in the mid-1960s. The cemetery established in 1869 with an area of approximately 500 meters2 is atop of a wooded hill about one km NE of the village. Only 15 tombstones preserved since the founding in 1923 are visible with ruins of a mortuary." [September 2011]
US Commission No. CZCE000073:
Alternate name: Klistau in German. Chlistov is located in Bohemia, Klatovy at 49º19 /1º02, 9 km SE of Klatovy; 45 km S of Plze. The cemetery is located 900 m NNE. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was first third of 19th century. 1903 Jewish population was 11. The Jewish community moved to big towns in second half of 19th century. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated before 1837 with last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform Jewish burial probably in first quarter of 20th century. The wooded isolated crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and non-locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 496 sq. m. ha.
1-20 19th-century limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Plzen Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are forest. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred in probably 1945-1981 with no maintenance. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and vegetation.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 15 September 2011 16:16|