|CESKY DUB: Liberec, Bohemia|
Stones removed from the cemetery were used for building materials 1938-1939. In this small town and behind the Ještěd Ridge, the local Jewish cemetery was destroyed by the Nazis in 1942. In its museum of Karolína Světlá are several documents showing the life of a Jewish Community in Podještědí (the area around the Ještěd Hill), part of a permanent display: the Torah from the 18th century, scrolls of the book of Esther that are about 200 years old, and an embroidered flax cloth torah cover. Photo (scroll down) [February 2009]
CESKY DUB: US Commission No. CZCE000297
Alternate name: Boehmisch-Aicha in German. Cesky Dub is located in Bohemia, Liberec at 50º09' 15º00', 12 km SSW of Liberec; 13 km NW of Turnov. Cemetery: 400 m E of square, near road leading to Sobotice. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with than 10 Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was congregation allegedly since 18th century (but not recorded). 1930 Jewish population was 6. According to short history of congregation (recounted in Jahrbuch...), Jewish community with synagogue and cemetery existed in early 18th century. 2-3 permitted Jewish families were recorded between 1724-1848 with peak Jewish population probably in late 19th century. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery originated allegedly in early 18th century, recorded in 1843, enlarged in 1873 with last known probably Conservative Jewish burial was before 1939. The flat isolated suburban site has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via no wall, fence, or gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is approximately 0.026 ha.
The cemetery contains no stones, mass graves, or structures. The municipality probably owns the site now is used for waste dumping (tipping of scrap). Adjacent properties are residential. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred prior to World War II (1938, by Nazis) and during World War II. There is no maintenance. Very serious threat: pollution and vegetation.
Jan Marek, Na haranici 208, 405 05 Decin, tel and fax for messages: 0412/23-662 or 28-090 and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 29 Nov 1992. Documentation: census 1567, 1652, 1724, 1830, 1890, 1930 and cadastre of 1843, 1873 and Jahrbuch fuer die israelische Cultusgemeinden Boehmens (1893-4) and Karl Schiller: Boehmisch Aicha (1898) and letter of local parish priest (1983). Other documentation exists but was not used because it was not available. The site was not visited. Interviewed were mayor of town, municipal gravedigger and other inhabitants of Cesky Dub in 1992.
|Last Updated on Monday, 23 February 2009 15:56|