You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czechia (Czech Republic) CERNOVICE: Vysočina, Pelhrimov, Bohemia
CERNOVICE: Vysočina, Pelhrimov, Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

Alternate name: Černovice. 49°22′21″N 14°57′47″E

website in Czech with photo: "The landmarked cemetery is located 500 meters N of the town, the red-marked trail. Established before 1695 (reportedly mid-17th century) for families of Černovic, Nové Včelnice and Kamenice nad Lipou. At beginning of the 18th century, the site was extended to the north. Then the old walled entrance on the west got a new entrance from the east. 1867 repair. Today, the cemetery with an area of ​​1,099 m2 has about 300 tombstones from the early 18th century to 1930s. Buried here include the local rabbi, David Platschek (d. 1883). The last were buried in 1941 were Emil Wind Černovice No. 27, a former businessman and farmer, who died aged 70, a trader Černovice No. 111 Charles Vogel, who died aged 64, and in 1942 former trader Černovice from No. 337 Bernard Winternitz, who died at the age 86. By 1990s, the cemetery was heavily overgrown with vegetation and mortuary enclosure wall was very damaged,; dozens of tombstones were knocked down. In 1996 the cemetery was cleaned and reconstruction started of the cemetery grounds. Fixed were a mortuary, part of the quarry stone wall and re-erected all toppled modern tombstones. In November 2002, reconstructed Holocaust memorial with a small exhibition on the history of the local Jewish community. Between 2008 and 2009 completely corrected the enclosing wall of quarry stone. Currently, ongoing maintenance cemetery allow for restoration of of historic tombstones where necessary to continue in the future. In the future," [September 2011]

cemetery photos [February 2009]

map and photos: "The small town Černovice is situated about 22 km E of the town of Tábor on the Černovický Potok (Černovice Stream).Černovice is first mentioned in 1369 as property of Lords of Choustník. From 1581 it was under the ownership of Lords of Hradec and then of the Rožmberks. A brewery, distillery, starch factory, sawmill and a lot of mills worked here in the town's heyday.The main historical sights in the village are the Church of the Holy Cross and a chateau. The church originates from the 15th century and stands in the square. The originally Gothic building was rebuilt into the Baroque style in 1737. The separated bell tower and the Marian column can be seen in front of the church. The Baroque chateau (from the end of the 18th century) is situated on the outskirts of the town in the valley of the Černovický Potok stream. It was rebuilt into the Classical style in the first half of the 19th century and is surrounded by the English park. [February 2009]


small village Křeč

small village Radenín

small village Mnich

memorial in Leskovice

Kámen castle

small town Kamenice nad Lipou

US Commission No. CZCE000322

Alternate name: Tscheraditz in German. Ceradice in German. Cernovice is located in Bohemia, Pelhrimov at 49º02' 14º08', 21 km ESE of Tabor and 18 km WSW of Pelhrimov. Cemetery: 800 m N of square. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Mestsky Urad, (mayor: Engineer Petr Kovanda) 394 94 Cernovice u Tabora; tel. 0364/921-02 or 923-75.
  • Regional: Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, 393 01 Pelhrimov; tel. 0366-3107 and Prazska ZNO, Maislova 18, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-69-25.
  • Interested: Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-06-34 or 231-07-85; Fax: 02/231-06-81 and Okresni Muzeum, (head: Engineer Jiri Cerny), Masarykovo namesti 12, 393 01 Pelhrimov; tel. 0366/2535 and (local historian) Josef Dvorak, 394-94 Cernovice u Tabora 26; tel. 0364/923-72.

Earliest known Jewish community was 1723 (but congregation was older). 1930 Jewish population was 32. Peak Jewish population in mid-19th century was about 15 families. Later, Jews moved to big towns. Town had a rabbi until about 1900. The Jewish cemetery originated in 17th century. Buried in the cemetery are Rabbi David Platschek (d. 1883) with last known Conservative Jewish burial was in 1940. Kamenice nad Lipou (Ger.: Kamenitz a.d. Linde) before 1804; Nova Vcelnice (form. Novy Etynk, Ger.: Neu-Oetting) in 18th century. 11 km; 17 km used this landmarked cemetery. Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private field, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.1115 ha.

100-500 stones, most in original location, date from late 17th century (legible: 1774)-20th century. The marble, granite and limestone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the site is a pre-burial house (vandalized). Prague Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and woods. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred frequently 1945-1991. Local/municipal authorities did restoration in 1992 with vandalism afterward. There is no maintenance. Very serious threat: vandalism. Serious threat: uncontrolled access. Moderate threat: pollution and vegetation. Slight threat: weather erosion.
Martina Chmelikova, Nad Ondrejovem 16, 140 00 Praha 4; tel. 02/69-20-350 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 31 Aug. 1992 using census 1723, 1849, 1930 and Die Juden und Judengemeinden Boehmens, (1934) and Jan Herman, "Jewish Cemeteries..." (1980) and notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha and letter of local historian Vaclav Polak (1984). The site was not visited. Person interviewed for this survey were Ms. Kuranova, in Mestsky Urad Cernovice, 1992.

Last Updated on Thursday, 15 September 2011 14:46
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution