You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic CELINA: Pribram, Bohemia
CELINA: Pribram, Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

cemetery photos [February 2009]

website in Czech with photo: "The landmarked cemetery is located 500 meters SW of the village on the slopes of the forest was founded in the 18th century. The cemetery has about 30 tombstones, the oldest from 1803, the newest in 1918. The mortuary enclosure wall has only small remnants of the structure. From 1990s to present maintenance of the cemetery has almost no financial resources, the future plan is cemetery is cleaned regularly to maintain, erect tombstones knocked down and possibly repair the badly damaged the surrounding wall of quarry stone. Reconstruction of the morgue is not real." [September 2011]

US Commission No. CZCE000321:

Alternate name: Tschelina in German. Celina is located in Bohemia, Pribram at 49º04' 14º01', 21 km ENE of Pribram and 38 km SSW of Praha. The cemetery is located 800 m SW of chateau. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Obecni Urad (mayor: Karel Zak), 262 15 Borotice Celina. Public phone in Celina: 0305/937-36.
  • Regional: Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, (Ms. Engineer Touzimska) Jiraskovy sady 240, 261 01 Pribram; tel. 0306/511 and Zidovska Nabozenska Obec v Praze, Maislova 18 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-69-25 and Pamatkovy ustav, Ceskomoravska 20-21, 190 00 Praha 9; tel. 02/853-57-46.
  • Interested: Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/231-06-34 or 231-07-85 and Okresni Muzeum, namesti H. Klicky 293, 261 02 Pribram; tel. 0306/4734 or 4746.

Earliest known Jewish community was about 1830. 1930 Jewish population was 3. Congregation originated probably in second half of 18th century, scanty congregation for surrounding villages. Peak Jewish population was first half of 19th century with 11 families in Celina. After 1848, Jews moved to big towns. Independent congregation disbanded in 1893. The Jewish cemetery originated before 1804 with last known Conservative Jewish burial in 1918. Cim (German: Tschim); Novy Knin (Neu-Knin), both 7 km away, used this landmarked cemetery. Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is.0737 ha.

20-100 stones, most in original location, date from 1803-20th century stones. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the site is a pre-burial house ruin. Praha Jewish community owns the site used only for Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and woods. Occasionally, organized individual tours (tourists) and private visitors stop. Local non-Jewish residents, local/municipal authorities and Jewish groups within country did restoration periodically (last in 1991). There is no maintenance. Serious threat: vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion.
Engineer Mojmir Maly, Ve Stresovickach 58, 169 00 Praha 6; tel. 02/35-57-69 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 29 Aug 1992 using census 1724, 1830, 1849, 1930; and notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha; and Die Juden und Judengemeinden Boehmens... (1934) and letters of local historians from Drevniky village (1983) and Novy Knin (1983). The site was not visited.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 September 2011 20:42
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution