BZENEC: Hodonin, Moravia Print

Ceremonial hall renovated by Jewish Community of Brno.  Alternate names: Bzenec [Cz], Bisenz [Ger. 48°59' N, 17°16' E, SE Moravia, 32 miles ESE of Brno (Brünn). Jewish population:  138 (in 1930).

town website. [September 2011]

town image [February 2009]

Spector, The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust (2001), "Bzenec".P. 228. Encyclopedia Judaica, CD-Rom Edition, Keter Publishing

JewishGen Austria-Czech SIG

Jewish history on Wikipedia [September 2011]

Jewish community dates from the 14th century with peak Jewish population of 965 in 1857. The synagogue was consecrated in 1863. By 1930, the population had declined to under 150. The synagogue was closed by order of Reinhard Heydrich in October 1941. In January 1943, the remaining Jews were deported to Theresienstadt and Auschwitz. synagogue [February 2009]

website in Czech with photo: " Jewish Quarter is found in a typical position between the castle and the square, today's King Street Vladislav Žerotínova, most of the nearly 100 houses still standing, including former School No. 759th. The synagogue was built in the Romanesque style about 1863 against the castle. In 1958 disturbed ground required it to be demolished. Cemetery on St. K. Čapek, 300 m east from the square on a slope below the municipal cemetery. Perhaps of medieval origin, the oldest preserved tombstones date from the late 17th century. The area of ​​6214 m2 holds 903 tombstones, Baroque and Classicist style. Holocaust Memorial unveiled in 1956. When you enter  ceremonial hall No. 816, see eclectic expressions of the early 20th century in the 1985 adapted  funeral hall. The landmarked area is defined by the boundary brick wall. Repairs carried out continuously." [September 2011]

US Commission No. CZCE000070:

Bzenec is located in Moravia-Hodonin at 48°59' N, 17°16' E, in SE Moravia, 32 miles ESE of Brno (Brünn).. The cemetery is located 0.5 km E on Karla Capka-Str. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with than 10 Jews.

  • Town: Magistrate Engineer Architect Ivan Cerny, Mestsky Urad, 696 81 Bzenec; tel. 0631/952024.
  • Regional: Ph.Dr. Jaromir Micka, Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, 695 00 Hodonin; tel. 0628/416.
  • Interested: Muzeum T.G. Masaryka, Director Dr. Tatana Martonova, zamecek, 695 00 Hodonin; tel. 0628/21834.
  • Key holder: Josef Jordan, ulica K. Capka, cp. 420, 696 81 Bzenec; tel. 0.
  • Other source: Elvira Blumkova, Nadrzni 13/972, 696 81 Bzenec; tel. 0631/952095.

Earliest known Jewish community was 1458. 1930 Jewish population was 138. The Jewish Community was a self-standing political community 1890-1919. Dr. Nehemias Bruell, rabbi, 1843-1891; Karl Goldmark, 1830-1915, composer; Dr. Samuel Muehsam, rabbi lived here. The Jewish cemetery originated in 16th century with last known Jewish burial in 1970. Conservative Jews used this cemetery. No other towns or villages used this cemetery. Landmark: Nr. 7206 S.M. The suburban hillside, separate but near cemeteries with no sign, but Jewish symbols on gate or wall. Pre-burial house has inscriptions and other distinctive features not specified. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall and locking gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.6386 ha.

500-5000 stones, all in original location, date from 1729-20th century. The marble, granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, multi-stone monuments or obelisks have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or lettering, bronze decorations or lettering, other metallic elements, portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the site are a pre-burial house, an ohel, a wall and vaults. Brno Jewish community owns the site used for Jewish cemetery and agriculture (crops or animal grazing). Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred 1945-1981. Individuals or groups of non-Jewish origin, regional/national authorities and Jewish groups within country did restoration in 1980's. Brno Jewish Congregation pays the regular caretaker. Moderate threat: weather erosion and vandalism. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, pollution, vegetation, existing nearby development, and proposed nearby development.

Eng. Architect Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno; tel. 0 completed survey on 7 March 1992 using Gold, Herman, and Jewish Cemeteries of Bohemia and Moravia (1980). The site was not visited.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 September 2011 20:07