You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czechia (Czech Republic) BYSICE -LIBLICE: Melnik, Bohemia
BYSICE -LIBLICE: Melnik, Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

50°19′N 14°37′E. Alternate names: 17th century in Liblice; perhaps mid-19th century in Bysice, Byšice

website in Czech with photo: "The unlandmarked cemetery is located 100 meters N of the square between family houses. Established in 1607 when a local Jew, David, bought for pennies a burial plot for himself and members of his family. Expanded in 1725 and 1791. Probably the oldest preserved tombstone (1723) is Miri, daughter of Leib, situated in the southern slope of the cemetery. Hebrew tombstones prevail (about half), followed by tombstones with Hebrew inscriptions-German and German, a smaller part of tombs with Czech inscriptions. 240 gravestones are arranged into seven series, most of them with the inscription on the west face. The cemetery was damaged during WWII. By the mid 1990s, the cemetery was very overgrown, served as a dump, and the cemetery wall almost demolished. In the early 1990s on two sides enclosing the cemetery wall a school was built, separating the cemetery from the street, the area of ​​the cemetery was cleaned and tombstones righted [?]. At the same time an entrance gate decorated with Star of David motif was forged. Currently, the cemetery has ongoing maintenance. In the future, the position of ruined wall on one side of the cemetery and historical restoration of the damaged gravestones from the 18th and 19 century should be done." [September 2011]

US Commission No. CZCE000218:

Bysice-Liblice is located in Bohemia, Melnik at 50º19 14º37, 10 km SE of Melnik and 27 km NE of Prague. Cemetery: 150 meters N of the chateau in Bysice. Present town population [1997] is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Obecni urad, 277 32 Bysice; tel. (0206) 96-281. Deputy mayor: Zdenek Uhlir; mayor: Bernard Hvolka.
  • Regional: Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, 276 01 Melnik and Zidovska nab.obec v Praze (Ms. Jana Wolfova), Maislova 18, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. (02) 231-69-25 and Pamatkovy ustav strednich Cech, Hybernska 18, 110 00 Praha 1; tel. (02) 23-54-940 to 2.
  • Interested: Okresni Muzeum, Cs. armady 19, 276 01 Melnik; tel. (0206) 2845 and Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. (02) 231-07-85 and District archivist: Jiri Rac, 5. Kvetna 110, 276 01 Melnik.
  • Earliest known Jewish community was perhaps 17th century in Liblice; perhaps mid-19th century in Bysice. 1930 Jewish population was 26 in Liblice as of 1939 and 8 in Bysice (1930), birthplace of prominent opera singer Emil Pollert (1877-1935). The Jewish cemetery originated in perhaps 1609 with last known Jewish burial probably in first-third of 20th century. Melnik (before 1878), 10 km away, used this cemetery probably listed as a landmark or monument. The flat urban location has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall without gate. The pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.1633 ha. 20-100 stones, most in original location, date from 1723-20th century. The marble, granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Praha Jewish community owns the property used for Jewish cemetery and waste dumping. Adjacent properties are residential. Rarely, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally 1945-1991 with no maintenance. Serious threat: uncontrolled access, pollution, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion.     
  • Martina Chmelikova, Nad Ondrejovem 16, 140 00 Praha 4, tel.(02) 69-20-350 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. (02) 55-33-40 completed survey on 5 June 1992 using Jan Herman, "Jewish Cemeteries of Bohemia and Moravia" (1980); Frantisek Roubik: list of Jewish congregations in 1850; census 1615, 1620, 1724, 1930; inscriptions on tombstones of 17th century; notes of Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha; letters of Jiri Rac-(see above) (1982 and 1986). Other documentation was inaccessible. No site visits or interviews occurred.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 September 2011 19:53
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution