|BRUNTAL: Silesia, Moravia|
US Commission No. CZCE00000068
Alternate German name: Freudenthal. The town is located in the province of Silesia at 49º59' 17º28', 50 km N of Olomouc. The cemetery is 2 km NE, Polni-Str. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with than 10 Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was second half of the 19th century. There were 73 Jews. Unlandmarked cemetery originated end of the 19th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1938. The isolated, flat suburban/rural location has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via no wall, fence or gate. Before WWII and now the size of the cemetery was 0.4756 ha.
1-20 stones, some in original location and 50-75% toppled or broken, date from beginning of 20th century. No stones were removed. The granite finely smoothed and inscribed or multi-stone monuments have German inscriptions. There are no known mass graves. The municipality owns the cemetery now used only as a Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are commercial, industrial or agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. It was vandalized by during WW II and between 1945 and 1882. No maintenance or care. Security, pollution and vandalism are serious threats. Weather erosion, vegetation, and incompatible planned development are moderate threats. Vegetation is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Existing incompatible development is a slight threat.
Eng. Architect Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno, tel 0 completed survey on Mar. 9, 1992. Documentation: Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries of Bohemia and Moravia (1980). Other documentation was too old. J. Klenovsky in 1989 and J. Fiedler in 1992 visited the cemetery site.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 28 February 2009 16:58|