|BRUMOV: Zlin, Moravia|
US Commission No. CZCE00000067
Alternate name: Brumow in German. Cemetery is 1.5 km north, in the province of Moravia (Zlin) at 49º05' 18º03', 130 km E of Brno. Present town population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community was 1758. There were 5 Jews in 1931. Effecting the Jewish community: "Jewish community cancelled 1890." Cemetery originated second half of 18th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial 1931. Landmark: (Nr. 1843 S.M.). Between fields and woods, the isolated crown of a hill has a Czech sign mentioning the Jewish community. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a continuous fence and locking gate. Original and current size of the cemetery is 0.0755 ha.
20-100 stones with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1785-20th century. The marble, granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely shaped and inscribed stones and flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surface. There are no known mass graves. Brno Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. It was vandalized between 1945 and 1882. Local non-Jewish residents, regional or national authorities and Jewish groups within the country re-erected and cleaned stones, vegetation cleared, and fixed wall and gate in 1985. Brno Jewish community pays regular caretaker. Security and weather erosion are moderate threats. Vegetation is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Pollution, vegetation, vandalism, and proposed and existing development are slight threats.
Eng. Architect Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno, tel 0 completed survey on Mar. 8, 1992. Documentation: Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries of Bohemia and Moravia (1980). Other documentation was too old. J. Klenovsky visited the cemetery site in Sept. 1991.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 28 February 2009 16:56|