BRTNICE: Vysocina, Moravia Print
Coat of arms of Brtnice

49°18′30″N 15°40′34″E, German: Pirnitz) is a town in the Vysočina Region with around 3,700 inhabitants in 2010. The town consists of the main center, Brtnice (2410 inhabitants), and 9 town districts: Dolní Smrčné (90 inhabitants), Jestřebí (144 inhabitants), Komárovice (72 inhabitants), Malé (45 inhabitants), Panská Lhota (234 inhabitants), Přímělkov (125 inhabitants), Příseka (233 inhabitants), Střížov (312 inhabitants), Uhřínovice (70 inhabitants).

website in Czech with photo: "Jewish settlement from first half of the 15th century. Jewish Quarter - today Legionellosis street leading north from the square, formerly consisted of 50 houses, a former hospital No. 197 and the ritual slaughterhouse čp.182-3, synagogue built in 1629, the school and town hall demolished in 1987-8. Instead of the synagogue is a memorial plaque from 2007, on the side of the mall. The old cemetery is located 1 km NE of the square on the road Bransouze. Established at the beginning of the 17th century, an area of ​​2050 m2 with about 250 sober baroque tombstones, oldest dating from 1672. The new cemetery established in the neighborhood in mid-19th century has a high wall enclosing the area of ​​2044 m2 and about 200 modern tombstones. Only the front wall of the simple ceremonial hall built in 1860 remains--walls, side bricked up. Overhaul is planned for 2012." [September 2011]

BRTNICE (I): US Commission No. CZCE0000065

Cemetery: Brtnice, Pirnitz in German, is located in the province of Moravia at 49º20' 15º40', 12 km SE of Jihlava. Cemetery is 1 km NE. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: magistrate Engineer Josef Pribyl, Obecni urad, 588 32 Brtnice, Tel 866/93115-6.
  • Regional: Eng. Architect Milena Nikiforova, Okresni urad,-Referat Kultury, Tosteho ulica [Street], 586 Ol Jihlava; tel. 866/23191.
  • Interested: Muzeum Vysociny, dir. RNDr. Ortwin Tauber, Masarykovo namesti 57/58, 586 01 Jihlava; tel. 866/20091.
  • Caretaker with key: Josef Vetchy, Legionarska 114, 588 32 Brtnice; tel. 866/93251.
  • Other individual with information is MVDr. Rudof Hlavka, cp. 354, 588 32 Brtnice; tel. 866/93281.

Earliest known Jewish community was in the 15th century. There were 33 Jews. Effecting the Jewish community: separation of Jewish quarter, 1727. Cemetery originated second half of 16th century. Last known Conservative Jewish burial was 1860. Landmark: (Nr. 4765 S.M.). Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall but no gate. The original and current size of the cemetery is 0.2302 ha.

100-500 tombstones original location with 50-75% toppled or broken, date from 1672-19th century. The marble, granite and sandstone flat shaped stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and German inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surface. There are no known mass graves. Brno Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors stop. It was vandalized during World War II and between 1945 and 1882. Individuals and groups of non-Jewish origin, regional/national authorities and Jewish groups cleared vegetation and repaired wall in the 1980s through 1991. Brno Jewish community pays caretaker. There was a pre-burial house, now destroyed. Security and weather erosion are moderate threats. Vegetation is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Pollution, vegetation, vandalism, and proposed and existing development are slight threats.

Eng. Architect Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno, tel 0 completed survey on 1 Mar 1992 after a visit in February. Documentation: Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries of Bohemia and Moravia (1980). Other documentation was too old. [Note: The US Commission/protection number is the same for both the survey of the old cemetery and the new cemetery. The locations are the same: 1 km NE. Other material is the same. These may be the same cemetery.]

BRTNICE II: US Commission No. CZCE000066

The cemetery is 1 km NE. Cemetery originated 1860 with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1942. Landmark: (Nr. 4765 S.M.). Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall with a locking gate surrounds the cemetery. Original and current size of the cemetery is 0.2044 ha.

100-500 tombstones in original location with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 1860-20th century. The marble, granite and sandstone flat shaped tombstones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, multi-stone monuments or obelisks have Hebrew, German and Czech inscriptions. Some stones have iron decorations or lettering, bronze decorations or lettering, and/or metal fences around graves. There are no known mass graves. Brno Jewish community owns the Jewish cemetery. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors stop. It was vandalized during World War II and between 1945 and 1882. Individuals and groups of non-Jewish origin, regional/national authorities and Jewish groups within the country cleared vegetation and fixed wall in the 1980s, through 1991. Brno Jewish community pays caretaker. There was a pre-burial house, now destroyed. Security and vegetation are moderate threats. Vegetation is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Pollution, weather erosion, vandalism, and proposed and existing development are slight threats.

Eng. Architect Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno, tel 0 completed survey on 1 Mar 1992 after a visit in February. Documentation: Jan Herman: Jewish Cemeteries of Bohemia and Moravia (1980). Other documentation was too old.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 September 2011 19:12