You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czech Republic BOHOSTICE: Pribram, Bohemia
BOHOSTICE: Pribram, Bohemia PDF Print E-mail
Coat of arms of Bohostice

49°36′N 14°09′E. Bohostice is a village and municipality in Příbram District in the Central Bohemian Region.

website in Czech with photo: "The landmarked cemetery is located 600 meters SW of the village on the edge of the forest. Established by the first half of the 18th century,over 150 graves from 1747 to 1930s remain visible. Mortuary in the NE corner of the cemetery fence and wall are repaired. At the beginning of the 1990s, the cemetery was very overgrown with vegetation, had a damaged wall and toppled matzevot. In 1992 - 1995 the wall was repaired and toppled tombstones raised. Currently, the cemetery has ongoing maintenance." [September 2011]

US Commission Report No. CZCE000061:

Alternate/former German name: Bohostitz in Pribram, Bohemia at 49*37' 14*09', 13 km SE of Pribram. Cemetery: 700 meters SW of town. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Obecni urad/magistrate: Engineer Vaclav Mechura, Bohostice, 262 32 Pecice.
  • Regional: 1. Arch. Ms Vyletova, Pamatkovy ustav pro stredni Cechy, Valdstejnske namesti 1, 118 00 Praha 1; tel. 853-57-46; 2. Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury/Engineer Ms. Touzimska/ 261 01 Pribaum.
  • Interested: 1. Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; 2 Okresni Muzeum, namesti H. Klicky 293, 261 02 Pribaum; tel. 0306/473 and 0306/4746; and 3. Vojtech Bolina (historian), Bohostice 80, 262 32 Pecice.
  • Caretaker: Josef Vetrovsky, Bohostice 62, 262 32 Pecice; tel. 0306/94-283.

Earliest known Jewish community dates from 1724. 1930 Jewish population (census) was 0. Jews moved to big towns in second half of the 19th century. Jewish cemetery originated probably the first half of the 18th century with last known Jewish burial in early 1930s. Smototely, 2 km away, used this landmarked cemetery. Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside has no sign. Reached by crossing private field, meadow, access is open via a broken masonry wall and no gate. Size of cemetery before and after WWII is 1061 sq. m.

100-500 gravestones, 100-500 in original location and 1-20 not with 50-75% toppled or broken, date from 1749-20th century. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones, or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German and/or Czech inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Prague Jewish community owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural/field and forest. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred between 1945 and ten years ago. Jewish groups within country cleared vegetation in 1992. Care now is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals and by regular caretaker paid by Plzen Jewish congregation [?]. Within the limits of the cemetery is a pre-burial house ruin. Security (uncontrolled access) and vandalism are moderate threats. Weather erosion and vegetation are slight threats. The vegetation overgrowth seasonally prevents access.

Engineer Mojimir Maly, Ve Stresovickach 58, 169 00 Praha 58; tel. 35-57-69 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5 completed survey on 20 May 1992. Documentation: 1. Notes of Statni z. Muzeum Praha; 2. History of village; and 3. Censuses 1724 and 1930. He visited in 1992. V. Bolina was interviewed.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 September 2011 17:39
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution