|BEZDRUZICE: Tachov, Bohemia|
US Comm. No. CZCE000011
Alternate/former German name is Weseritz in Tachov, Bohemia at 49°54′26″N 12°58′21″E , 35 km NW of Plzen. Location: 1 km W of town; in cadastre [a public record, survey or map of the value, extent and ownership of land as a basis of taxation] of the village Resin or Rossin (German). Present town population is 1,000 to 5,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community in town dates from 1806. 1930 Jewish population (census): 21. Jews moved to large towns after 1890. Jewish cemetery was established probably at the beginning of the 19th century. The last known Jewish burial was 1930s. Between fields and woods, the isolated flat land with no sign is reached by turning directly off a public road. Access is open to all. A broken masonry wall and no gate surround the cemetery. Size of cemetery before and after WWII is 1655 sq. meters.
20-100 gravestones, more than 75% toppled or broken, are 20-100 in original location and 1-20 not. Stones removed from the cemetery are in a museum. Tombstones in the cemetery date from the early 19th to 20th century. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, and multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and/or German inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Plzen Jewish community owns the property now used for Jewish cemetery purposes only. Properties adjacent are forest and fallow land. Rarely, private visitors and local residents visit. The Nazis vandalized the cemetery in 1938. No maintenance or care. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation and vandalism are moderate threats. The vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Vandalism is a moderate threat.
Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5, tel. 02/55-33-40 completed the survey on 25 December 1991 using the following documentation: ual of Jewish Congregations-1893. Other documentation exists but is too old to be used. Jiri Fiedler, z"l who interviewed the deceased former district preserver of monuments, visited the site for this survey in 1990.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 28 February 2009 16:26|