|BATELOV: Jihlava, Moravia|
Alternate names: Batelov [Cz], Battelau [Ger], Batelau. Jewish population: 190 (in 1846), 31 (in 1930). 49°19' N, 15°24' E, 56 miles W of Brno (Brünn), 10 miles SW of Jihlava (Iglau).
US Commission No. CZCE000058:
Cemetery: 0.8 km W of Batelov. Alternate/former German name: Battelau in Jihlava, Morava, at 49÷ 19 and 15 24, 16 km SW of Jihlava, Moravia. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community dates from after 1426. 1930 Jewish population (census) was 31. A big fire in 1790 effected the Jews community. Professor Moritz Antscerl and Gustav Bohm, a painter, lived in Batelov. The Jewish cemetery originated in the 16th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1942. Landmarked: # 4693 S.M. Between fields and woods, the isolated crown of a hill has Czech sign mentioning the Jewish community. Reached by turning off a public road, access is open with permission via a continuous fence and locking gate. The size of cemetery before and after W.W.II is 0.209 ha.
100-500 gravestones, in original location with 50%-75% broken or toppled, date from 1715-20th century. The marble and granite flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and German inscriptions. Some have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Brno Jewish community owns Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Occasionally, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred during World War II and between 1945 and ten years ago. Local non-Jewish residents, regional or national authorities, and Jewish groups within country cleared vegetation, fixed wall and gate in 1984-5. Brno Jewish Congregation pays the regular caretaker. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Security (uncontrolled access), Weather erosion, Pollution, Vegetation, Vandalism, and Incompatible nearby development, existing or proposed are slight threats. Vegetation overgrowth seasonally prevents access.
Eng. Architect Jaroslav Klenovsky, Zebetinska 13, 623 00 Brno; tel. 0 completed survey on 8 March 1992. Documentation: the Hugo Gold book. Klenovsky visited site in September 1991 but conducted no interviews.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 September 2011 15:14|