You are here: Home Eastern Europe Czechia (Czech Republic) BABCICE: Tabor, Bohemia
BABCICE: Tabor, Bohemia PDF Print E-mail

Cemetery info in Czech with photo: "The cemetery is located 1 km north of the village, on the edge of the forest, was founded by the early 19th century, written records was first documented 1809. The cemetery is a small ceremonial hall and more than 200 gravestones, the oldest from 1841, the newest of the 30 gravestones dates of the 20th century. By the end of 19th of the 20 century, the cemetery was heavily overgrown with bushes and self-seeded vegetation, which has been grubbed up in 2000. Currently, the cemetery is clean. Cemetery's ongoing maintenance is in 2005 the overall reconstruction of the small ceremonial hall and damaged sections of wall. Part of the gravestones from the 19th century and early 20th century is, unfortunately, still knocked down; their restoration and erection will begin in 2009.Time of establishment: 1849. Landmarked. Freely accessible." [September 2011]

US Commission No. CZCE0000318

Cemetery: 1,100 meters NNE of Babcice and 400 meters ENE of settlement: Osikovec.
German name: Babtschitz. Located in Tabor, Bohemia at 49÷29' 14÷54, 17 km ENE of Tabor and 65 km NNE of Ceske Budejovice. Present town population is under 1000 with no Jews.

  • Town: Obecni urad, 391 53 Vodice.
  • Regional: Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, Palackeho 350, 390 01 Tabor; tel. 0361/22646.
  • Interested: Jewish Congregation: Jewish Congregation: ZNO Praha (Ms. Jana Wolfova), Maislova 18, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/2318664. Also, Husitske Muzeum, namesti Mikulase z Husi 44, 390 01 Tabor; tel. 0361/22242. Also, Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/2310634.

Earliest known Jewish community dates from 1830-1940. 1930 Jewish population was 0. Of historic note: Scanty congregation for surrounding villages; top of Jewish population in 1848. Later, moving to town (20 in 1880, 10 in 1900.) Unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established in 1842. Last known probably Orthodox Jewish burial was first third of the 20th century. Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open via a continuous masonry wall and non-locking gate. The size of cemetery before and after W.W.II is 0.1716 or 0.1884 ha.

20-100 gravestones in original location with 20-100 not in original location and 50-75% broken or toppled. Tombstones date from 1841-20th century. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German, and/or Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Prague Jewish community owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural forest. Occasionally, private visitors and local residents stop. Vandalism occurred prior to World War II, during World War II, occasionally in the last ten years, and between 1945 and ten years ago. Cleared vegetation and fixing of the wall by regional or national authorities about 1970 is the only maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery is a pre-burial house. Security (uncontrolled access), pollution and vandalism are moderate threats. Weather erosion, vegetation, and incompatible nearby development are slight threats. Vegetation overgrowth seasonally prevents access.

Ladislav Mertl, Mgr. of Geography, Kubanske namesti 1322/17, Praha 10-Vrsovice; tel. 02/743213 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/553340 completed survey in August 1992. Documentation: 1. J. Herman: Jewish Cemeteries in Bohemia and Moravia (1980), 2. Records of Cemetery Committee of Council of Jewish Congregations, 1985, 3. Cadastre [a public record, survey or map of the value, extent and ownership of land as a basis of taxation] of 1830, 1840; and 4. Censuses of 1849, 1880, 1900, 1930, and 1991. Other documentation exists but is too old and inaccessible, referring to the Archives of the Prague Jewish Congregation: US Commission No. 26, 35, 36, 60, 61, and 62. Ladislva Mertl visited site on 18 July 1992. No interviews were conducted.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 September 2011 15:05
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution