(W-Böhm.: Arnitzgrün) läßt sich die jüdische Besiedlung seit 1665 belegen. In der 2. Hälfte des 18.Jhdt. gründete sich eine Kultus-Gemeinde, die aber vor 1878 aufgelöst wurde. [February 2009]
ARNOLTOV: US Commission No. CZCE000317
Sokolov (Bohemia). (Arnitzgruen in German) also used cemetery at Krasna Lipa
Cemetery: 300 m SW of the biggest farm (estate) of the village. Alternate names: Arnitzgrun and Anestzgrun in Bohemia, Sokolov. At 50º 06' 12º 37', 16 km ENE of Cheb and 23 km SW of Karlovy Vary. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
Earliest known Jewish community dates from late 18th or early 19th century. 1930 Jewish population was 0. The largest Jewish population was in the mid-19th century with 127 in 1850. Later, Jews moved to big towns. The congregation disbanded and the synagogue closed before 1878 with last Jewish family left the village before 1890. The Jewish cemetery originated probably in the first half of the 19th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial in the unlandmarked cemetery 1915, one refugee from Galicia. The isolated hillside and crown of a hill between fields and woods has no sign. Reached by crossing private field, forest, access is open to all via no wall, fence, or gate. The pre-and post-W.W.II size of the cemetery is 0.146 ha. 20-100 gravestones in original location with approximately less than 25% toppled or broken date from first half of 19th century. The limestone flat, shaped granite tombstones have Hebrew and/or German inscriptions. Plzen Jewish community owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural and forest. Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors stop rarely. Vandalism occurred between 1945 and 1882. No maintenance or care. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Security and vegetation are moderate threats. Weather erosion and vandalism are slight threats. Vegetation overgrowth seasonally prevents access. Security and vegetation are moderate threats.
- Town: Obecni urad, 357 64 Kostelni Briza.
- Regional: Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury; Jednoty 654; 356 Ol Sokolov; tel. 0168/225-83 or 223-68 and Zidovska Nabozenska Obec; Smetanovy sady 5; 301 37 Plzen; tel. 019/357-49 and Pamatkovy ustav; Dominikanska 4/6; 301 00 Plzen; tel. 019/354-62 or 358-71.
- Interested: Statni zidowvske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02-231-06-34 or 231-07-85 and Okresni Muzeum, Zamecka 1, 356 Ol Sokolov; tel. 0168/239-30.
Vlastimila Hamackova, Zabelska 37, 312 15 Plzen; tel. office 02/231-06-34 and Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 26 August 1992 using the follow documentation: 1. cadastre [a public record, survey or map of the value, extent and ownership of land as a basis of taxation] [a public record, survey or map of the value, extent and ownership of land as a basis of taxation] [a public record, survey or map of the value, extent, and ownership of land as a basis of taxation] of 1841-1859; 2. Heimatskunde des politischen Bezirkes Falkenau (1898); 3. Frantisek Roubik: list of Jewish congregations in 1850 (in: Rocenka Spolecnosti pro dejiny zidu..., 1935); 4. Die Juden und Judengemeinden Bohemens (1934); and 5. Notes of the Statni Zidovske Museum, Praha. V. Hamackova and J. Fiedler visited site in 1989 and 1991. No interviews conducted.
Last Updated on Saturday, 07 February 2009 22:55